“Hey, Henry, hurry up, will ya? My mother’s gonna make some fried peppers and sausage for us.”
My husband reminds me of this Goodfellas quote every time I make sausage and peppers. A good Italian meal, he says. Indeed it is. This is my Sausage and Peppers for the Balsamic Lover.
This is a meal that I keep super simple. All you need is a good Italian sausage, a few peppers (add more if you’d like), a large onion, olive oil and balsamic vinegar. That’s it. Chop the peppers, onions and sausage to your size preference. I like to get a taste of everything in each bite, so I don’t chop the peppers or onions into too large of pieces. I prefer bigger chunks of sausage, I usually cut them into 3″-4″ pieces. I cook everything in a dutch oven until the onions and peppers are melt in your mouth tender. (If you prefer more crisp to your veggies then you’ll have to revamp the process a bit.) Reduce the liquid and serve. Really, how much easier can that get.
I serve this with a salad and lots of crusty bread. Simple, delicious and tons of flavor. I will admit, it’s not the prettiest of dishes – but one bite and that will all be forgotten. There’s something so rewarding about an enjoyable meal made with just a handful of basic ingredients.
I love this meal! Sausage, peppers, onions and the sweet bite from the balsamic vinegar – yum! I hope you try it out some time soon. Thanks for stopping by! Happy Cooking!
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 large bell peppers, chopped - I use a combo of green, red & orange (or whatever is on sale)
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 pounds good Italian Sausage, cut into 3"-4" pieces
- ⅓ cup balsamic vinegar
- In a dutch oven or large skillet, heat up oil over medium-high heat.
- Add sausage, lightly brown on both sides.
- Add peppers and onions, stir.
- Saute for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add balsamic, stir.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 20 -25 minutes, or until sausage is cooked and veggies are melt in your mouth tender.
- Remove lid, turn heat up to medium-high and saute, stirring often, until liquid has reduced to your liking, about 5-10 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let dish rest for a few minutes before serving.
- I serve this with a salad and lots of fresh crusty bread. Enjoy : )