I’ve been trying hard to cut down on store bought sweets. Baked goods have never really been an issue – I love baking and am usually disappointed by anything from the store. The issue – candies and chocolates. More specifically, anything dark chocolate with fruits and nuts. Having this stuff readily available makes it that much easier to indulge too frequently. I’ve decided to keep good quality dark chocolate (ha – that’s nothing new) and dried fruits and nuts on hand. This way, if I’m craving it – I have to make it.
Sounds like a wonderfully healthy idea, right? Then on comes the cravings. I want dark chocolate covered everything and I want it now. On this occasion I was thinking Almond Joy. So I could have dipped some sweetened shredded coconut patties in chocolate, happily devoured it and called it a day. Something stopped me, though. In front of me was a fresh, fragrant bag of organic coconut flour. I bought it to make some cookies, but knew it would be a great way to healthy up an Almond Joy.
Not familiar with coconut flour? Perhaps you should be. Coconut flour is gluten free, low carb/paleo friendly, loaded in fiber and rocks all the vitamins and health benefits that coconuts provide. I love the flavor and texture for baking. Be prepared though, coconut flour is nothing like your ordinary flours. It’s a bit fussy and super absorbent – you’ll be using an almost shocking amount of eggs and liquids when baking with it. I wholeheartedly suggest starting your coconut flour baking adventures with some research. Experiment with some tried and true recipes before trying to do your own thing.
This recipe is far less complicated. No baking involved. Throw everything in the food processor, roll into balls or patties, drizzle with chocolate & sprinkle on some almonds and you are done. Easy. These Chocolate Coconut Almond Bites definitely aren’t an Almond Joy copycat – the texture is totally different. Think of them as a healthy treat inspired by an Almond Joy. No guilt involved while enjoying a few of these and they can easily be made vegan and gluten free. Actually, you’ll find snacking on these fiber rich bites will satisfy your sweet tooth and fill your belly.
I hope you love these Chocolate Coconut Almond Bites and are inspired to experiment further with coconut flour. Thanks so much for stopping by : )
Chocolate Coconut Almond Bites (Healthy-ish)
- 1/2 cup coconut flour
- 2 tablespoon desiccated coconut or unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon cocoa powder I prefer dutch process
- 3 tablespoon agave
- 2 tablespoon coconut oil measured solid then melted
- 3 - 4 tablespoon milk dairy, almond, coconut, soy - your preference
- 1 heaping tablespoon crushed almonds
- 1 heaping tablespoon dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Combine coconut flour, shredded coconut, cocoa powder, agave, coconut oil and milk in a food processor.
- Process until combined. If mixture seems dry, add an additional tablespoon of milk.
- Measure out heaping tablespoons, roll into balls or patties. Place on wax paper.
- Press a pinch of crushed almonds on tops.
- Melt chocolate and drizzle on top.
- Finish by sprinkling remaining almonds over chocolate.
- Cool & store in fridge.
- Enjoy : )