Chocolate Hazelnut Bars. Rich, chocolate topping – something in between a custard, a ganache and a fudge – over a buttery hazelnut crust. Not your average, everyday cookie bar or brownie.
Let’s talk recipe inspiration…
Most often mine will occur when I’m grocery shopping. I’ll find a great price on something or find some type of food or ingredient that I HAVE to buy.
Other times the inspiration is out of necessity. I’ll find ingredients in my pantry that somehow got lost or forgotten and need to get used pronto. How on Earth does one forget about a brand new bag of hazelnut flour, I’ll never know.
That bag of hazelnut flour led to this recipe. Nut meals make great crusts with delicious taste and texture for bars and pies. Plus it’s simple as simple can be. Combine ingredients, cut in butter and bake.
Fall in love with this decadent chocolate topping.
I’ve made this rich & creamy chocolate topping before for desserts and it never ceases to amaze me. Throw together a few simple ingredients and it truly transforms. Not quite a custard, nor a ganache, nor a fudge – it falls somewhere in between the three. It’s a simple chocolate recipe that you can find plenty of other uses for in your baking creations.
You’ll think the chocolate layer looks rather thin when topping off the hazelnut crust – trust me – it’s plenty. It puffs up a bit when baking and is plenty rich for the crust to topping ratio.
I used hazelnuts for the base of these bars. Two reasons. First, the European in me LOVES the chocolate and hazelnut combo. Second, I had hazelnut flour to use up. I’m pretty sure this would work well with almond or any other nut flour/meal – but have yet to try it.
This recipe is quick and simple and the finished bar is a rather impressive treat. Not your average, everyday cookie bar or brownie. Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Baking!
Want another decadent chocolate dessert recipe? Check out my Chocolate Ricotta Cheesecake!
Chocolate Hazelnut Bars
- For Crust:
- 1/3 cup hazelnut meal/flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoons cold salted butter cut into pieces
- For Chocolate Topping:
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- For Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Grease/spray an 8″ or 9″ square baking dish.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together hazelnut flour, sugar and flour.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter pieces until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Press the mixture evenly into baking dish.
- Bake for 22 – 25 minutes or until edges are lightly golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack until topping is ready.
- For topping:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, whisk together water and butter until melted and combined.
- Whisk in sugar, cocoa powder and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla.
- Let mixture cool down for a few minutes, whisk in eggs until blended.
- Pour/scrape chocolate topping onto crust.
- Bake at 350° until set – about 16 -20 minutes.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into squares. If storing for a few days, I keep this in the fridge. Remove from fridge an hour or two before serving.
Still have hazelnut flour to use? Check out this Hazelnut Cookie recipe from The Hungry Hutch.
Amy (Savory Moments)
Ohhh yum! These look super delicious. Hazelnuts are so good.
Thanks so much Amy! We LOVE these bars!
Thao @ In Good Flavor
I’m so guilty of buying things to try out and then never end up using them. These bars look fantastic and that chocolate layer looks incredible!!
Oh, I have a pantry full of rainy day ingredients and projects lol.
Thanks so much Thao – these bars disappeared quick ♥