Today is the day, folks. August 21 makes it officially National Spumoni Day! Yay!!! You ask why there is such a day? Your guess is as good as mine – but it sure beats National Fruitcake Day ( which, by the way, is December 27th. )
What is this spumoni business all about? It’s a frozen ice cream or gelato dessert of Italian orgin. Everyone makes it different but you can bet on a combination of chocolate, pistachio and cherry at the very least. Expect to see versions with vanilla, whipped cream, almonds and nuts, amaretto, fruits, berries or whatever else fancies the chef. It’s typically served molded or in slices but individual scoops smothered in nuts and cherries and fudge and whatever else happens too. Spumoni is a freestyle dessert – no rules are needed here.
Yum….spumoni. I couldn’t let this day or dessert go unnoticed even if I am on vacation….I LOVE THE OUTER BANKS : ) So with limited ingredients and a very basic kitchen – I whipped up something super simple and delicious with my love for spumoni. Instant puddings, maraschino cherries, sliced almonds, cool whip and a chocolate bar make an easy, pretty and delicious layered pudding version of this dessert.
Keep in mind that I’m making this nice and easy – my vacation is about being on the beach as much as possible and in the beach house and kitchen as little as possible. Feel free to make your own puddings and whipped cream. I didn’t give any exact measurements when layering the ingredients in the cups. Amounts will vary with how many individual puddings you make and by preference. I did have some cool whip and chocolate pudding left over. I made 6 large pudding cups, next time I make this I would probably make 8 instead. Either way, this will make 6 – 10 individual cups, depending on size and appetites.
I evenly layered the chopped cherries on the bottoms of the cups followed by pistachio pudding, a spoonful of sliced almonds, cool whip, chocolate pudding, cool whip, sprinkled with chocolate bar crumbles and a cherry on top. Quick, easy and looks so much fancier then it really is.
Alright, back to the beach. Hope you enjoy this easy, peasy pudding as much as we did. Next year, IF I’m home, I’ll make a “proper” spumoni dessert for the day. Cheers…XOXO
- 1 box (3.9 oz) instant chocolate pudding, prepared
- 1 box (3.4 oz) instant pistachio pudding, prepared
- 16 oz jar maraschino cherries, divided
- ¼ cup sliced almonds
- large chocolate bar (3.5 oz) - I used a fruit and nut bar
- Extra Creamy Cool Whip - 8 oz tub
- Gather glasses / cups for pudding. This will make 6-10 servings.
- Prepare puddings following packet instructions. Usually it's something like 2 cups milk whisked with pudding and let set for 5 minutes.
- Set aside 6 - 10 whole cherries (depending how many individual puddings you make)
- Wrap remainder of cherries in a paper towel for a few minutes to absorb excess liquid.
- Chop cherries.
- Chop chocolate bar.
- Evenly layer ingredients in cups. Start with cherries at the bottom, then pistachio pudding, followed by almonds, cool whip, chocolate pudding, cool whip, chocolate bar crumbles and a cherry on top : )
- Keep in fridge until ready to serve. Smile & enjoy : )