We all have recipes we make only a few times a year, reserved for holidays or special occasions. Fried turkey, gravy, potato filling, bread stuffing, candied yams, cranberries – just a few yummy comfort holiday foods I love. Then I think of the sweets. Pumpkin pie, sweet potato pie, peanut butter Easter eggs and Christmas cookies. Mmmmm….Christmas cookies. I love baking Christmas cookies but after baking endless dozens of them, I cringe at the site of a cookie for quite some time. Give it a few months and I’m over it. Sure, there are plenty of cookies we enjoy throughout the year, no occasion necessary. One of my favorites, though, seems to only be popular around Christmas. That’s changed in my house – Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookies are now a year round treat.
These cookies come together quickly but do require a little chilling time in the fridge – an hour or so should do it. I only chill cookie dough when it absolutely needs it, although many bakers chill all cookie dough before baking. These cookies, though, will spread too much without a chilling period. Trust me, I’ve tried.
The other thing about this cookie is that the tops won’t turn that pretty golden brown color we adore with other chocolate chip cookies. These cookies pretty much stay the same color as the cookie dough with some lovely brown cinnamon flecks throughout them. Bake for 10 -12 minutes or until the bottom edges start to lightly brown. Do not over bake – the bottoms will burn easily. These cookies do not increase radically in size. I drop about 20 rounded tablespoons on a cookie sheet. If you’d like a bigger cookie, adjust amounts accordingly.
These cookies are delicious! They are super soft and booming with cream cheese flavor. So good – these cookies are like pillowy little bites. I love the little tanginess cream cheese gives to cookies – pairs wonderfully with cinnamon and chocolate.
I hope you love this Cream Cheese Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe. Perhaps you’ll also decide that they’re not just for Christmas anymore. Thanks so much for stopping by!
- 1 cup butter, softened (2 sticks)
- 8 oz package cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1½ cup flour
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini or regular)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream softened butter and cream cheese.
- Beat in sugar.
- Mix in egg, salt, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Stir in flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Chill cookie dough in fridge for at least for at least an hour before baking.
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Prep cookie sheets. These cookies work best on sheets lined with parchment paper.
- Drop rounded tablespoons onto cookie sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes or until bottom edges start to lightly brown. Watch carefully - the bottoms burn easily.
- Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for a minute or two. Transfer to wire racks to cool.
- Enjoy : )