I’ll start off by telling you my motivation for this recipe. Laziness. Yup, I said it! Laziness isn’t always so bad, though. Sometimes it really is the most effective motivation in finding the simplest method. So I started off a warm (almost) summer day with a killer craving for rice pudding. With breakfast not made yet and two crazy hungry girls running around – I knew I didn’t have time to make this pudding proper.
A quickie rice pudding. Hmmmm. It takes at least 25 minutes to make a pot of rice. Not terribly long, I know. It just wasn’t quick enough for this morning. Couscous, that’s quick though – cooks in 5 minutes quick. I knew in a few minutes I could easily throw together a sweet, creamy sauce together to stir the couscous into. I thought of a coconut milk vegan rice pudding I had made a few times. I had a head full of ideas and it was time to make this pudding happen.
This pudding took a little over 10 minutes to make and was ready to eat in just about 20 minutes. I served this warm with a sprinkle of cinnamon. It was creamy, delicious and fondly reminiscent of rice pudding. I’d happily eat this as breakfast, dessert or an anytime sweet snack. My daughter, who absolutely despises couscous in every form she’s tasted it in prior, actually liked this pudding. She said it reminded her of a sweet breakfast porridge.
I’m so happy with how this Couscous Pudding turned out. So sweet and creamy – you will not miss the dairy! Just as impressive is how quick and easy this pudding is to make. This pudding is best served warm and reheats wonderfully. I hope you give it a try and I’d love to hear your thoughts! Thanks so much for reading : )
Warm Couscous Pudding (Vegan)
- 3/4 cup water
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 cup couscous
- 1 can coconut milk 13.5 oz
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cardamon pod green, seeds removed and crushed
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 tablespoon sugar
- 4 tablespoon raisins more if you'd like
- Add water and salt to a small saucepan and bring to a boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in couscous.
- Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff couscous with fork before adding to sauce.
- In a separate small saucepan, over low heat, add coconut milk, vanilla, cardamon seeds, cinnamon and sugar.
- Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Add raisins, simmer and stir for a minute or two.
- Stir in couscous and remove from heat.
- Allow pudding to cool and thicken for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Serve warm. Sprinkle with additional cinnamon, raisins or shredded coconut if you'd like. Enjoy : )