Pasta Amatriciana / Bucatini all' Amatriciana
We love all things pasta! This is delicious comfort food with simple ingredients. Traditionally this is made with sliced guanciale but pancetta or good bacon work wonderfully : )
- 6 tablespoon - good olive oil
- 1 small - onion chopped
- 3 clove - garlic minced
- 1/2 pound - thick good quality bacon - chopped (6-7 pieces of bacon)
- 1 teaspoon - parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon - crushed dried red pepper
- 1/4 cup - dry red wine
- 2 1/2 cup - tomato sauce
- 16 oz - spaghetti or bucatini
- 1 fresh ground salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Grated Pecorino Romano to taste
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. Add chopped bacon, onion, garlic, parsley and crushed red pepper. Cook for 10 - 15 minutes, stirring often, until onions are soft and bacon is starting to lightly crisp around edges. Do not drain fat.
Add red wine - stir one minute.
Add tomato sauce. Stirring constantly, bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 20 - 25 minutes, stirring often. Salt and pepper to taste if necessary.
Cook pasta per package instructions in boiling salted water, coordinate cooking times. Drain, toss with sauce. Serve with grated Pecorino Romano or cheese of choice. Enjoy : )