This post was sponsored by Season Brand Sardines. All thoughts & opinions are always my own.
Spicy Sardine Pasta Fra Diavolo! A spicy Italian tomato sauce with just the right amount of heat made from sardines and basic pantry staples. Here's to a quick, simple & delicious dinner!
Sardines. These teeny-tiny fish are extraordinarily underrated.
As Americans, we seem skirmish about the sardine. Everyone loves canned tuna & salmon, yet they turn their noses up at sardines. People have no idea what they're missing out on!
Many people confuse the sardine with the anchovy. Both are small fish you can find canned whole. The anchovy is a much stronger smelling and tasting fish – still delicious though!
Sardines pack a major punch of flavor and nutrition. Sardines are a very tasty fish – but not overwhelmingly fishy. One little can is LOADED with Omega-3 Fatty Acids, plus high in calcium, protein and iron.
Sardines are also far lower in contaminants than many of the bigger fish we eat.
Season Brand Sardines are wild caught & certified sustainable. This is important – not only are some more popular fish we eat aggressively over-fished, often there are questions of origins and handling.
Spicy Sardine Pasta – An Italian & Spanish Favorite!
The Mediterranean blood in me can't help but combine sardines with tomato sauce. It's always a natural go to. This Sardine Pasta Fra Diavolo is one of my favorite seafood red sauces.
Fra Diavolo – a spicy Italian sauce – is wonderful with any kind of fish or shellfish. It is often made with shrimp – but sardines are a fabulous way to give new life to this recipe.
Using sardines also makes this a much quicker recipe. No fussing with shrimp or shellfish, just open up the cans of sardines and toss them with the sauce!
The amount of heat in the sauce depends on the amount of red pepper you use. One teaspoon of red pepper has made it just the right amount of spicy for everyone I've served. If you like things extra spicy, add a pinch more.
Spicy Sardine Pasta Fra Diavolo is a quick, delicious, flavorful recipe made easy with pantry staples! I do hope you enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!
Spicy Sardine Pasta
- 4 tablespoon olive oil
- small onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup white wine I used a pinot grigiot – went great with finished meal
- 28 oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon red pepper dried (note – if you like it spicier, you may want to taste and adjust)
- 1 teaspoon basil dried
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano dried
- 1/2 teaspoon parsley dried
- 3 tins Season Brand Sardines drained (4.375 oz cans – I used boneless in Extra Virgin Olive Oil – use your favorite)
- salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 pound linguine or spaghetti
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large skillet.
- Saute onions until translucent, about 10 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, saute for a minute or two.
- Add white wine, scrape pan to deglaze.
- Add crushed tomatoes, red pepper, basil, salt, oregano & parsley.
- Simmer, covered, for 15- 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Taste, add additional red pepper if more heat is preferred.
- Add sardines. Simmer over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Salt & pepper to taste if necessary.
- Serve over cooked spaghetti or linguine. Enjoy!