Banana Nut Muffins. Quick, easy, moist & full of flavor. These delicious muffins are one of my all time favorites – soon to be yours, too!
I have these Banana Nut Muffins baking in the oven, right now this very moment. Let me say…the aroma is absolutely intoxicating! I’m practically floating thru the house into the kitchen following the scent trail. (There was a cartoon character who used to do that. For the life of me, I can’t remember who it was!?)
There are many recipes that are so normal, so common, that at times they get overlooked. The basics. Shall we go back to basics for a bit?
The basics shouldn’t be overlooked. These recipes are foundations that can be built upon with countless variations. Switch up fruits, fats, flours – the possibilities are endless.
I make these banana nut muffins often. They go together quickly, are moist, delicious, full of flavor and stay fresh for days. They’re great for breakfast, dessert or a sweet snack. I hear muffins like this freeze well, but they never last long enough to make it to the freezer.
These muffins take just minutes to put together and 25 minutes to bake. Probably takes less time & effort to bake a batch then it would to get dressed and head out to a bakery and buy a few. How’s that for keeping it simple.
Onto nuts – to toast or not to toast. Really, this all depends on your tastes and what you are making. A lot of people will insist that it’s a must for the best flavor – but that just isn’t always so. I toasted the walnuts for these muffins, this time. Sometimes I don’t – really, the sprinkling of walnuts on top of the muffins get toasted nicely without any extra effort. More “for instances” you say…? I would toast macadamia nuts in a cookie but wouldn’t toast walnuts in a Turkish walnut cake. See – it’s all in your preferences.
I hope you enjoy these muffins. Quick, simple and delicious – it’s everything you want in a Banana Nut Muffin!
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Baking!
Banana Nut Muffins
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- You could use 1 1/2 cup all purpose flour without any whole wheat flour if you'd like
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 stick salted butter 1/2 cup, melted
- 3 large ripe bananas mashed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup - 1 cup walnuts toasted if you'd like
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk flours, baking soda, salt, nutmeg and cinnamon together in a large mixing bowl. Set aside.
- Melt butter. Set aside.
- In a separate mixing bowl, mash bananas with a fork. Mix in butter, both sugars, milk, egg and vanilla. Stir until well combined.
- Combine wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir until just combined - do not over mix.
- Fold in half the walnuts.
- Spoon batter evenly into 12 greased or paper lined muffin cups.
- Sprinkle remainder of walnuts over top of muffins.
- Bake for about 22 - 26 minutes or until muffins are golden brown and toothpick inserted into center comes out clean.
- Let muffins rest in pan on wire rack for 5 minutes. Remove from pan and let cool completely on rack.
- Enjoy 🙂