Chocolate Avocado Cake and Chocolate Avocado Buttercream – delicious, moist and rich – a healthier dessert that compromises no flavor.
I recently struck gold on the avocado deal of a lifetime. With over a dozen of super ripe avocados on hand and plans for more than guacamole, I knew I had to get to busy.
I quote myself:
Baking and cooking with avocados is a great way to cut out butter and oil. It also adds some awesome nutritional content to your sweets & baked goods – giving you an excuse to eat another piece of that truffle, brownie or cake. “It’s not because I’m a chocolate fanatic, it’s because I need the 20 vitamins and minerals. It’s like my multivitamin”. Sounds legit to me.
Yup, it sure does.
So first I made Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles.
Wow. They were out of this world. Who would have guessed – chocolate and avocado. This was the start of a great new thing.
I figured I’d try one of my all time favorites – chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. This would be the true test…could avocado really go where only butter has went before?
Not a whole lot to be said about making the cake. Pretty much like any other cake except your adding an avocado and leaving out the butter, shortening and eggs. As for the Chocolate “Buttercream” Avocado Frosting, you’re just throwing everything together in a food processor. I’m sure you will have some reservations at first site of it mixing, but trust me, that ick factor will be all forgotten in a minute.
Outcome – everyone loved it! As with the Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles, I very much tasted the avocado in the frosting right after mixing it up. After it sat for a few hours, allowing time for flavors to blend, it became a super rich chocolate buttercream with no hint of avocado at all. This is an insanely delicious, moist, rich, decadent piece of chocolate cake with chocolate frosting. Absolutely hits that chocolate spot. Definitely the real deal.
I’m soooo happy with the way this cake and buttercream turned out. Seriously, this may become the new go to chocolate cake and buttercream in my house. I love healthy alternatives, but there are certain things I just won’t compromise. The rich, pure, decadent flavor of chocolate is one of them. This Chocolate Avocado Cake with Chocolate Avocado Buttercream Frosting doesn’t compromise any of that flavor you know, want and love. Really, you might know it’s a healthier dessert with avocado in it, but no one else would ever guess!
This is another great recipe that I’m so excited about and truly hope you try! Thanks so much for reading! Happy Baking : )
- For the cake:
- 3 cup all-purpose flour
- 6 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 ripe avocado, mashed until very smooth
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoon white vinegar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup granulated sugar
- For the frosting:
- 2 large ripe avocados, peeled and pitted
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 4 Tbsp. cocoa powder
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Grease and flour a tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the vegetable oil, avocado, water, vinegar and vanilla. Whisk until well combined.
- Whisk sugar into the wet mix.
- Add the wet mixture to the flour mixture all at once. Beat with a whisk (by hand) until smooth.
- Pour batter into a greased tube pan. Bake for 45 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let cake cool in pan for 15 - 20 minutes on a cooling rack. Turn cake out onto cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- For buttercream frosting:
- Scoop avocados out into a food processor. Process until smooth, about 2 minutes, stopping to scrape down avocado with spatula if necessary.
- Add powdered sugar and cocoa powder to pureed avocado. Process for another minute or until creamy and combined, stopping once to scrape down mixture if necessary.
- Frost cake. Let cake sit a few hours before serving, allowing time for flavors to blend.
- Enjoy : )
Want more chocolate avocado deliciousness!? Check out these Chocolate Avocado Truffles!