I stumbled upon a jackpot during a recent shopping trip at my favorite produce spot. A half peck of avocado “seconds” for $1.25. Absolutely insane. That’s over a dozen of avocados. They were all super ripe and ready to go (although a few didn’t make the cut). First I made a GIANT bowl of guacamole and told everyone to go wild with it. I had more plans – they involved chocolate and avocados.
I have a list of avocado recipes to try and hopefully I’ll be able to scratch a few off the list this week. I’m starting off with these Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles. Me making and tasting this recipe is loooong overdue.
Baking and cooking with avocados is a great way to cut out butter and oil. It also adds some awesome nutritional content to your sweets & baked goods – giving you an excuse to eat another piece of that truffle, brownie or cake. “It’s not because I’m a chocolate fanatic, it’s because I need the 20 vitamins and minerals. It’s like my multivitamin”. Sounds legit to me.
I’m so loving this recipe. It’s quick, easy and makes over a dozen of gorgeous truffles. Mash the avocado, melt the chocolate, mix everything together and chill in the fridge until mixture has stiffened up a bit. Use a small cookie scoop or tablespoon to scoop out the mixture. Roll into balls with your hands, it’s messy but fun work. Then roll into cocoa powder, crushed nuts, sprinkles – whatever you’d like.
I found the avocado taste was very much there right after making the truffles. After letting the truffles sit & the flavors blend for a few hours the avocado taste was gone. Result – insanely decadent Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles. You wanna hear something crazy – I think I like these more then the truffles I usually make with heavy whipping cream. These Dark Chocolate Avocado Truffles are creamier, fudgier and not so melty. And no one will ever guess there’s healthy green stuff in them!
I do hope you try these truffles out – they are amazing! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Cooking : )
Adapted from Apple of My Eye – Thanks for sharing an awesome recipe : )
- 1 ripe avocado
- 5 oz dark baking chocolate bar or good quality dark chocolate bar
- 2½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder, divided
- 2 tablespoon brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- (optional) any other coatings - sprinkles, crushed nuts, shredded coconut
- Peel and pit the avocado. In a bowl, mash the avocado with a fork until smooth and lump free.
- Melt the chocolate. I do this in the microwave at 50% power at 30 second increments, stirring after every 30 seconds until smooth and melted.
- Stir in mashed avocado, brown sugar, vanilla extract, salt and 1½ tablespoon of cocoa powder until thoroughly combined.
- Chill the truffle mixture in the fridge for 1-2 hours or until mixture has stiffened up.
- Using a small cookie scoop or tablespoon, scoop out truffle mixture. Roll into balls with your hands.
- Roll truffles into remaining 1 tablespoon of cocoa powder or any other desired coatings.
- Store in fridge. Enjoy!!!