A high-protein chocolate mousse made with quark. This mousse is rich, decadent, delicious & filling! Enjoy it guilt-free as a dessert, snack or meal!Jump to Recipe
This post may contain affiliate links & Amazon affiliate links. Thanks for reading & thanks for your support!
A Protein Chocolate Mousse You Can Feel Good About Eating ♥
Who likes Chocolate Mousse? Who likes a high-protein mousse made effortlessly in minutes. It's a pretty simple task thanks to one ingredient. Quark.
All About Quark
Quark, you ask? It's officially been answered that quark is definitely not the noise a “dog-duck” makes. Jokes….
Quark is, in fact, a light, creamy cheese – very similar in texture to a Greek yogurt or sour cream. Here's the kicker – it’s lower in calories, lower in fat and higher in protein than Greek yogurt. Makes you want to become acquainted with this dairy product.
Quark is extremely versatile. It's very mild and it can take on a sweet or savory element. Add some fresh herbs & a pinch of sea salt to it and serve it on top of a baked potato. Bake up a low-fat German style cheesecake with it. Serve it up with a fresh berries or fruit. Use it to make a healthier version of your favorite dip. So many low-fat, high protein possibilities.
Quark should be available at most better grocery stores or health food stores. You can often find it at specialty cheese shops as well.
Quark is pretty simple to make and it’s actually a great introduction to cheese making. Click here for a thorough guide to making quark from The Daring Gourmet.
This mousse couldn't be any simpler to make. It takes less than 5 minutes of hands on time.
No egg yolks, no heavy cream – all you need is quark, chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon if you prefer (I do).
Whisk the quark to fluff it up a bit, whisk in your melted chocolate and that's it. Chill for a few hours and serve. It's ridiculously simple.
Ready to serve – it's a thick, creamy, rich chocolate mousse with a bit of a tang to it. You can eat it as is (it's perfect) or dress it up with a pinch of grated chocolate and a handful of raspberries.
It's delicious. Decadent. It almost seems a bit fancy.
Oh yeah, and you can eat this almost guilt-free.
Hope you enjoy!
Protein Chocolate Mousse
- 12 oz quark
- 6 oz about 1 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Melt chocolate chips. You can do this on the stovetop over a water bath or in the microwave. I used the microwave, stopping and mixing the chocolate every 30 seconds until melted.
- Set aside melted chocolate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk quark for a minute or two until it lightens and fluffs up a bit.
- Whisk in cinnamon (optional)
- Whisk in melted chocolate. Whisk until mixture is thick, fluffy and well combined.
- Chill for a few hours or overnight.
- I serve this with a pinch of grated chocolate and a few raspberries. Enjoy : )