Who likes Chocolate Mousse? Who likes a high-protein, low-fat chocolate mousse made effortlessly in minutes. Oh, I’m not a dreamer – it’s being done. The magic word here is quark.
Quark, you ask? It’s already officially been answered that quark is definitely not the noise a “dog-duck” makes. Quark is, in fact, a light, creamy cheese – very similar in texture to a Greek yogurt or sour cream. Here’s the kicker – it’s lower in calories, lower in fat and higher in protein than Greek yogurt. Makes you want to become acquainted with this dairy product.
Quark is extremely versatile. It’s very mild and it can take on a sweet or savory element. Add some fresh herbs & a pinch of sea salt to it and serve it on top of a baked potato. Bake up a low-fat German style cheesecake with it. Serve it up with a fresh berries or fruit. Use it to make a healthier version of your favorite dip. So many low-fat, high protein possibilities.
Ahhhh, don’t worry, I didn’t forget that chocolate mousse. It’s so simple and takes less than 5 minutes to make. No egg yolks, no heavy cream – all you need is some quark, some chocolate and a pinch of cinnamon if you prefer (I do). Whisk the quark to fluff it up a bit, whisk in your melted chocolate and that’s it. Chill for a few hours and serve.
Seems almost ridiculously simple, huh? No worries, you’ll forget all that after you have a taste. It’s a thick, creamy, rich chocolate mousse with a bit of a tang to it. I serve it with a pinch of grated chocolate and a handful of raspberries. Delicious. Decadent. A bit fancy. Oh yeah, and you can eat this almost guilt free. High in protein and so much healthier than the regular fatty chocolate mousse.
I bet you’re excited! Now you just need to get the quark. You should be able to find it, you just might have to do a little looking. There are a few mainstream brands so you might be able to find it in your grocery store. You’re more likely to find it locally made at a specialty cheese shop. If all else fails, you’re still in luck. Quark is super simple to make – it’s actually a great introduction to cheese making – and you’ll find plenty of recipes & tips online.
Hope you like this high-protein, low-fat, quark chocolate mousse as much as we do. I would love to hear all about it! Thanks so much for stopping by…Happy Cooking : )
Quark Chocolate Mousse (High Protein - Low Fat)
- 12 oz quark
- 6 oz about 1 cup dark or bittersweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon optional
- Melt chocolate chips. You can do this on the stovetop over a water bath or in the microwave. I used the microwave, stopping and mixing the chocolate every 30 seconds until melted.
- Set aside melted chocolate.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk quark for a minute or two until it lightens and fluffs up a bit.
- Whisk in cinnamon (optional)
- Whisk in melted chocolate. Whisk until mixture is thick, fluffy and well combined.
- Chill for a few hours or overnight.
- I serve this with a pinch of grated chocolate and a few raspberries. Enjoy : )