This post may contain affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for visiting & thanks for your support ♥
Bite sized Cranberry Chocolate Scones. This easy recipe makes a lightly sweetened, tender perfect scone.
What Is A Scone?
There’s no simple answer to this question.
Scones are complex to define. Ask 10 people, from various areas of the world, to describe a scone. You’ll get different answers from each one.
Then ask them to describe a biscuit. Different answers again.
Eggs or no eggs? Sweet or savory? Tender or crumbly?
What we call scones (and biscuits) will vary from continent to continent, region to region.
What I can do is describe these Cranberry Chocolate Scones. They are a little crisp on the outside and soft & tender in the inside.
Nothing out of the ordinary here.
Fresh cranberries are wonderful to bake with. Paired with chocolate – they almost transform.
Since these scones are more petite in size, it’s important to half or chop the cranberries. Make sure you rinse and inspect for any stems before using.
I also highly recommend using mini chocolate chips – they are so much easier to mix in.
These Cranberry Chocolate Scones are easy enough to throw together. They don’t involve much fussing – just mix, drop them on cookie sheets and bake.
These are drop scones – so there is no rolling, kneading or slicing involved.
A few notes.
Stir until just combined – when dry & wet ingredients are just combined. This is important. If you over stir/mix you over work the flour, developing gluten, which results in a tough, dense drop scone.
I’ve also simplified much of my baking by using larger cookie sheets. This whole batch fits onto my 15 x 21 cookie sheet (click for product link). Saves me baking time & cleanup.
These Cranberry Chocolate Scones are best when eaten the same day as baked. They’re wonderful served warm!
Scones are traditionally served with butter, jam or soft cheeses. These scones have so much flavor, I doubt anyone would be interested in any accompaniments. Up to you.
Pair with coffee or tea for an anytime treat!
Hope you enjoy!
Cranberry Chocolate Scones
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 cup cranberries halved or chopped
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Grease/spray cookie sheets.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt & baking soda.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until texture is of coarse crumbs.
- Add milk and orange juice and stir until just combined. Do not over stir.
- Stir in cranberries and chocolate chips.
- Drop heaping teaspoonfuls on cookie sheets, about 2" apart. You should have about 30 scones.
- Sprinkle a pinch of turbinado sugar over each scone.’
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Remove from cookie sheets onto cooling rack. These are best eaten the same day. They are wonderful served warm.