Here’s the recipe right off the back of the good old imperial margarine box. I’ve always frowned a bit upon baking with margarine. One day I was in a pinch for cookies and out of butter. I went with what I had, gave this a try and it’s been my go to bake sale cookie since.
Is this the best chocolate chip cookie? Certainly not. Nothing beats butter. So why bake this cookie, you ask. Simple – it’s cheap to make, pretty much fool proof to bake and turns out great every time. A little crunch on the outside and chewy and chocolatey in the inside. A quick and easy cookie to make, you can turn out a few dozen of these in no time.
The recipe is pretty straight forward. The one comment I’ll make is that the recipe calls for margarine – not softened or at room temperature. I’ve seen these cookies made with softened margarine and they turn out a bit thin and flat. Although it’s harder to cream cold margarine – take the time and do it right. Cut the margarine into 1 inch chunks – it’ll make the job a little easier. Cream together sugars and margarine. Beat in egg, vanilla and baking soda. Mix in flour by hand. Mix in chocolate chips or whatever goodies you’d like to add. I usually add Reese’s Pieces and chocolate chips. It’s mini M&M’s and chocolate chips if I’m baking for a school function. Drop by tablespoonfuls onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 9-10 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Recipe yields about 3 dozen, +/- a few depending on size of tablespoons.
That’s it folks. You now have no more excuses to not drop off a few dozen cookies at the next community, church or school event or bake sale. Help your local cause make a few bucks and make the world a little sweeter, one cookie at a time.
Thanks for reading…happy baking!
Imperial Margarine Chocolate Chip Cookies - The BEST Bake Sale Cookies
- 3/4 cup Imperial margarine 1 1/2 sticks
- 2/3 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cup flour
- 2 cup chocolate chips or other candy chips
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Beat margarine with both sugars in large bowl with electric mixer.
- Beat in vanilla, egg and baking soda.
- Stir in flour, by hand, until blended.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Drop mixture by heaping tablespoonfuls, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet.
- Bake 9-10 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool on baking sheet for 2 minutes.
- Remove cookies to wire racks and cool completely.