Try this flavorful, delicious, creamy, hearty Chicken Barley Chili. So simple to make and it feeds an army!
I really can’t say enough about this Chicken Barley Chili. It’s unbelievable. Who would have thought a recipe of such greatness would be printed on the back of a Quaker Oats Barley box.
This stuff gets devoured in my house! No critiques, no complaints – it’s a silent dinner with an occasional “mmmmm” and “it’s so good”. Total win for me – delicious, filling, it’s so easy to make and everyone loves it. Oh – did I mention the leftovers? I loovvve the leftovers! This makes a ton of chili – I’d say about 10 large servings. You’ll love the leftovers too – soups, stews and chili always have a way of tasting better the next day.
This chili really isn’t much more than sauteing an onion and some garlic and throwing a bunch of canned ingredients together in a pot.
You’ll notice ” 1 1/2 pounds of cooked chicken” is listed as an ingredient. I’m going to recommend poaching the chicken in a heavily seasoned broth. There’s absolutely no reason you should add bland chicken to this chili. Take it up a notch. Create layers of flavor – you’ll appreciate every bite.
Poaching is such a simple technique and results in foolproof tender and flavorful chicken breasts. I used a large skillet where all chicken breast tenders fit in without too much crowding. I added 1 1/2 cup of broth made from a tomato/chicken bouillon, 1 heaping tablespoon Adobo seasoning (Goya brand), 1/4 teaspoon pepper and a pinch of oregano. The chicken goes into the chili towards the end of cooking. So get the chili going then poach the chicken and shred it.
Serve this chili with a big spoonful of sour cream and shredded cheese. This chili is delicious as is – but the sour cream and cheese take it to a whole other level. It’s so thick, creamy, delicious – it’s almost like a dip. Oh my yum. Don’t forget a bowl of tortilla chips for dipping or crushing on top. If you feel the need for a little heat, add a few shakes of chipotle hot sauce. It’s all good.
I love, love, love this Chicken Barley Chili and I hope you do too! I’d love to hear your thoughts on it! Until next time…Happy Cooking : )
Chicken Barley Chili
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 clove garlic minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 can diced tomatoes undrained (14.5 oz can)
- 1 can chicken broth 14.5 oz or 1 3/4 cup broth
- 1 jar/can salsa 15 oz - 20 oz
- 4 cup water
- 1 cup Quaker Medium Barley
- 3 tablespoon sofrito optional
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle powder optional
- pinch of pepper
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed (15 oz)
- 1 can corn undrained (15 oz)
- 1 1/2 - 2 pound chicken breast cooked and shredded (I recommend poaching in a heavily seasoned broth)
- 1 tablespoon shredded cheese each serving
- 1 tablespoon sour cream each serving
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a LARGE saucepan or a stockpot, heat up oil and add onions. Saute for about 10 minutes or until onions are golden.
- Add minced garlic, saute for a minute.
- Add in diced tomatoes, tomato sauce (or salsa), broth, water, barley, sofrito, chili powder, salt, cumin, chipotle powder and pepper.
- Over medium-high heat, stirring often, bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low. Simmer for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add beans, corn and chicken. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring often. Reduce heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring often. Check that barley is tender. Remove from heat.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper if necessary.
- Top with a spoonful of shredded cheese and sour cream and mix it all up. Serve with tortilla chips. Enjoy : )
- Recipe adapted from Quaker Oats