Rich, delicious Ricotta Cheese Chocolate Chip Pancakes. These pancakes make a fabulous breakfast, dessert or anytime treat.
I have yet to decide if these pancakes were better suited for breakfast or dessert – so this time I made them for dinner! Let me reassure you – there were absolutely no complaints from my family.
I got the inspiration for this recipe from a friend who served us “Neapolitan Pancakes” a few years ago. Summed up – the recipe was ricotta cheese added to a basic pancake mixture and served with a variety of jams. Simple, delicious and such an impressionable dish.
I originally made this as more of a “dessert cannoli pancake”. Chocolate chips and ricotta and cream richness layered between ricotta cheese pancakes. Insanely delicious – but just a bit much. I opted to lighten it up over time and ended up with this version. Chocolate chips work perfectly with the ricotta in this pancake – just as the hint of cinnamon. Top it off with some freshly whipped cream and it’s love at first bite!
A few notes before you start mixing this up – since I’m sure you’ve already ran out and bought ricotta for the occasion. I love cinnamon and would personally prefer this with an additional 1/2 teaspoon but I tone it down for my fam who do not share my enthusiasm of the spice….so have at it if you wanna throw some more in. Or sprinkle some more on top like I do and we all eat happily. Start with 1/2 cup of chocolate chips – add an additional 1/4 cup if you feel it needs a bit more. Mini chocolate chips work even better but I rarely have them on hand. I top these off with stabilized whipped cream. I do without the gelatin whenever possible – but whipped cream served over hot pancakes will make soupy cream and quick…so gelatin it is.
Yay!!!! Here’s my first recipe for Crafty Cooking Mama! This one involved an absurd amount of edits – I’m looking forward to a post that doesn’t take me five days of second guessing lol. Hope you enjoy it and the many more recipes to come…..XOXO
Ricotta Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- STABILIZED WHIPPED CREAM
- 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
- 4 teaspoons cold water
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup sifted confectioners sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pound ricotta cheese
- 2 eggs
- 2 egg yolks
- 1/4 cup cream
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- For whipped cream:
- In a small saucepan combine gelatin and cold water. Let stand until thickened.
- Place over low heat, stirring constantly, just until the gelatin dissolves.
- Remove from heat. Cool but do not allow it to set up - gelatin must be liquid but not warm when ready to use.
- In a chilled bowl with chilled mixers - beat the cream, sugar and extract until soft peaks start to form.
- Add gelatin and beat at high speed till stiff peaks start to form.
- Refrigerate until ready to use.
- For pancakes:
- In a large mixing bowl - whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- Add in ricotta, mix well.
- In a seperate bowl - beat eggs, egg yolks and cream together.
- Add egg mixture to ricotta mixture - stir until smooth. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Pour 1/4 cup of pancake mixture onto a greased griddle over medium heat. Fry until lightly golden brown, 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Top with whipped cream - enjoy : )