A simple & delicious fresh peach & blueberry pie with a buttery crumb topping. A late summer favorite!
The motivation to make the perfect Peach Blueberry Pie occurred a few years ago. During the holidays a friend used to bring an assortment of pies from a bakery in her town. Everyone raved, oohhhed & ahhhed over these pies.
My husband fussed over the Peach Blueberry Pie. I love all things pie & was sooo excited to taste it! It was a picture perfect pie topped with a beautiful lattice crust and oozing with peaches & blueberries.
I bite into it. Sweet. Sugar. That’s all I tasted – sweetness and sugar. Awful. I was expecting so much and all I tasted was the burning over-sweetness of sugar. I knew there was a buttery crust and blueberries and peaches in there somewhere but they were all lost in a sea of sugar. So sad, so disappointing.
Why? Oh, why would someone destroy something so wonderfully simple?
Easy. These fruits are out of season locally during the holidays. The fruit they were using was under ripe and not so naturally sweet. They increased the amount of sugar trying to compensate for the quality (or lack thereof) of the fruit they were using.
Lucky for us all – peaches & blueberries are in season now. We are fortunate to have an abundance of orchards nearby and my girls and I have been busy picking. After coming home with over 10 pounds of peaches and buckets full of blueberries – I knew I had to make this Peach & Blueberry Pie.
Actually I made two. We enjoyed every last single bite of this pie. We probably won’t have it again until next year during peach & blueberry season.
The secret to this pie? Perfectly juicy, ripe & sweet peaches. Oh, and the plump sweet blueberries. That’s it. It takes only a few ingredients and a few minutes to toss together.
Hope everyone is enjoying these last couple weeks of summer! Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy baking 🙂
Peach Blueberry Crumb Pie
- 1 9 " pie crust baked & cooled
- 3 cups peaches peeled & chopped (4-5 peaches)
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Crumb topping
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup butter
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- For pie filling:
- In a mixing bowl, combine chopped peaches, blueberries, sugar, flour, lemon juice & cinnamon.
- Spoon into pie shell.
- For topping:
- In a separate bowl, combine flour & brown sugar.
- Cut in slices of cold butter with a pastry blender until mixture is pea size crumbles.
- Sprinkle topping mixture over top of pie.
- Place pie on an aluminum foil lined cookie sheet - this pie often oozes over while baking.
- Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350° and bake for an additional 25 - 30 minutes or until topping is golden brown.
- Cool pie on wire rack & then refrigerate.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
- Store pie covered in fridge. Best eaten within a day or two of baking.