Today I’m sharing three recipes that will show you how simple it is to add more whole grain goodness to your diet. Oh, and I have money saving coupons to share with you too! Head over to Post® cereals to grab your coupons now!
Breakfast has always been and will always be the most important meal of the day. It’s essential to eat a nutritious breakfast to get yourself geared up & going for the day. Although the hustle & bustle of the morning makes it difficult to sit down to a breakfast “fit for a king”, there are still plenty of options to get a good breakfast in. Seriously – we can do better than doughnuts, toaster pastries and fast food sandwiches.
Many people make resolutions at the start of each New Year. Eating healthier is often one of those resolutions. Achieving those goals are easy when you add a nutritious and filling breakfast to your daily routine.
I’ll share with you a key ingredient to breakfast success – Grape-Nuts® cereal. It’s a morning staple, and has been for over 100 years. Loaded with 52 grams of whole grain and plenty of fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants & protein – this is a top shelf cereal.
Of course you can sit down to a bowl of Grape-Nuts® cereal and breakfast is served. Other days, though, you may want to get a little creative with it – it’s such a versatile ingredient.
Today I’m sharing with you three recipes you can make with Grape-Nuts®.
The first recipe is super simple and takes only a few minutes and a microwave to make. Grape-Nuts® & Quick Oats is filling, delicious and nutritious. I add cinnamon, raisins, a little sugar and milk on busier days. If I want to take it up a notch, I add a bit of vanilla and a pinch of chocolate chips. You can make it anyway you would normally enjoy a bowl of oatmeal. Stir in maple syrup, fresh fruits, dried fruits, whatever you like!
Here’s a nifty little idea. If you’re so busy in the morning that you the thought of grabbing all the ingredients to make these oats makes you crazy, then you can easily meal prep this. Just measure out all the dry ingredients in sandwich baggies. Just add milk and they’re ready to go when you need them. Like homemade instant packets.
The second recipe I’m sharing may not be the lightest recipe, but it’s absolutely fun and delicious. Chocolate Chip & Bacon Grape-Nuts® cookies. It’s sweet, salty, bacon, chewy crunchy cookie goodness. It’s a great on the go, in a rush kind of breakfast. Or anytime snack or dessert.
Last, but not least, is Grape-Nuts® custard or pudding. It’s a dessert, it’s a breakfast – either or, it’s wonderful. It’s delicious served warm or chilled – I honestly can’t pick which I like more! While baking, the pudding separates into layers. The top will be a thick, creamy egg custard and the bottom turns into a soft Grape-Nuts crust. It’s a must try for all custard fans.
I could literally share dozens more recipes that I use Grape-Nuts® in. I love it for it’s fiber & whole grain content and often add it to muffins, cookies, breakfast bars, quick breads or stir it in my yogurt. It’s a simple way to add major nutrition to my breakfast & baked goodies.
I hope you’re inspired to add more whole grain goodness to your diet! Thanks for stopping by ♥
- ¼ cup Grape-Nuts®
- ¼ cup quick oats
- 2 tablespoon raisins
- 1 tablespoon brown or turbinado sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup milk
- optional - ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- optional - 1 teaspoon mini chocolate chips
- Combine all ingredients in a large microwave safe cereal bowl.
- Microwave for 3 minutes, stopping to stir once or twice. Keep an eye on it - it may "cook over" like oatmeal or grits.
- Stir, let cool for a minute or two and enjoy!
- ¼ pound bacon, cooked, crisped & diced (4 thick slices)
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ whole wheat flour
- ⅔ cup brown sugar, packed
- ½ cup Grape-Nuts®
- ½ cup salted butter, melted
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup mini chocolate chips, heaping
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Whisk together flours and sugar in a bowl. Stir in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, edges should be a light golden brown.
- Let cookies rest on cookie sheet for 2 minutes before carefully transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Enjoy : )
- 1 cup Grape-Nuts®
- 4 cups scalded milk
- ½ cup sugar
- 5 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- pinch of salt
- cinnamon & nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease/spray an 8" or 9" square baking dish. You will also need a larger dish or pan to fill with water and set the baking dish into.
- Combine the Grape-Nuts® and milk in a mixing bowl. Let sit for 5 minutes to soften up the cereal.
- Whisk together sugar, eggs, vanilla & salt.
- Combine egg mixture with the cereal mixture.
- Pour into baking dish. Sprinkle top generously with cinnamon & nutmeg.
- Place baking dish into larger pan and then pour hot water into the larger pan around your custard baking dish. (Water bath/bain marie)
- Bake for 45 - 50 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove dish from larger pan and cool. This is good warm and wonderful chilled. You decide which is better.
- I serve this sprinkled with additional cinnamon or cocoa powder and whipped cream.
- Enjoy : )