A light & fluffy apple cake with a sweet buttery caramel glaze. Easy, simple & delicious ♥
How many times could I bake and enjoy this cake in just one week? Turns out, three times. I baked this three times, in less than a week, and couldn’t stay away from it each time. Given the chance, I would have went for a fourth round with it.
The beginning of this story starts with a half bushel of apples for sale along side the road. For $8. Fresh from a local farms small orchard and into my kitchen.
So apples it is. It’s the season. There’s a million wonderful reasons to eat local and nothing beats amazing fresh produce at crazy cheap prices.
With visions of apple cakes & pies floating through my head I started with this cake. Why? I’ve had quite a few apple cakes this season already. They were all so moist, delicious and wonderful but heavy and dense. That’s common with apple cakes, which is all fine and dandy, but sometimes I want something lighter.
This cake is simple to make. Follow the recipe and it will be perfect. I baked one cake and decided to measure “extra generous” with the apples. Don’t. It absolutely changed the texture of the cake. Delicious still, yes. Light & fluffy – not so much.
As for the glaze on top of this cake. It has a buttery caramel flavor and you can make it as thick or thin as you’d like. For a thinner glaze, boil for about a minute. Thicker, 2-3 minutes. I think I found my happy place glaze at about 2 minutes.
So grab some apples and get to baking. Tis’ the season and winter is coming. (Game of Thrones fangirl reference thrown in there)
Thanks for stopping by! Happy baking 🙂
Soft & Fluffy Apple Cake
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup cooking oil
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups chopped apples
- 4 tablespoon salted butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar packed
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream half & half or milk work fine too
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For cake:
- Preheat oven to 350°. Grease/spray a 13"x9" baking dish.
- Beat eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Add sugar, applesauce & oil and beat.
- Stir in flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt & vanilla until combined.
- Stir in apples.
- Pour batter into baking dish. Bake for 30 - 36 minutes. Top will be golden brown and toothpick inserted near center should come out clean.
- Cool on wire rack & glaze.
- For Glaze:
- Combine butter, brown sugar, heavy cream & vanilla in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stirring often, bring to a light boil.
- Stirring constantly, let boil for a minute for a thin glaze and 2-3 minutes for a thicker glaze.
- Let cool for a few minutes & pour/spoon glaze over cake and spread evenly with a spoon or spatula.
- Serve & enjoy. Store cake loosely covered.