I get crazy, giddy happy at just the thought of a bite of a German Apple Pancake. They’re so sweet, so rustic, so simple, so delicious. Love!
This really is one of my favorite breakfasts EVER. I’m so excited to share this recipe with you and hope you have apples so you don’t have to wait to get to baking.
As Americans, most of us hear “pancake” and think of thin, round cakes that you fry on a griddle. This German apple pancake is something completely different. Maybe it’ll sound a little more familiar if I’d call it a “Dutch Baby”. Still confused? It’s a “pancake” that’s baked as a whole cake in the oven instead of pan fried as small, separate cakes.
I suppose you’re wondering why it’s called a pancake at all. Reason being, these pancakes traditionally start on the stove top in a skillet and then go into the oven to be baked. My recipe just eliminates the stove top bit and bakes in a 13X9 casserole dish.
This recipe really is super simple to make with basic ingredients you probably have on hand. I use 4 medium/large apples. Use 5 if your apples are on the smaller side. Peel, core and slice apples – one of those nifty apple corer/slicer gadgets makes it a quick job. Combine the apple slices, 1/4 cup butter (half the stick), brown sugar and cinnamon. I do this in a bowl and pop it in the microwave for a few minutes, until apples are just tender, stirring once or twice. You could just as easily throw everything in a small skillet if you’d like. Spoon the tender apple mixture into your greased 13×9 baking dish. In a separate mixing bowl, combine and mix remaining ingredients. Spoon batter evenly over apples in baking dish.
All the excitement occurs during baking. After 25 minutes that nothing special, rather ordinary looking batter has transformed into something almost magical. It’s now a puffy and pretty pancake ready to be admired and devoured.
Please don’t even consider ruining these pancakes with syrup or toppings. A light sprinkle of powdered sugar is all you’ll need. Perfectly sweet and simple.
I do hope you give these pancakes a try soon and I can not wait to hear your thoughts! These pancakes were best described by Athena, my 8 year old daughter as “Yummy Baked Apple Funnel Cake Pancakes”. That’s a whole lot of yum right there! Thanks for reading and I wish you the Happiest of Baking : )
- 4 apples
- ½ cup (1 stick) - softened butter - divided
- ½ cup - brown sugar - packed
- 1 teaspoon - cinnamon
- 1 cup - all purpose flour
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup - milk
- ½ teaspoon - vanilla
- 3 tablespoon - sugar
- Powdered Sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°. Grease/spray a 13x9 baking dish.
- Core, peel and slice apples.
- In a medium bowl combine apple slices, ¼ cup butter (half the stick), brown sugar and cinnamon. In the microwave, heat on high for 3-5 minutes till apples are tender - stirring twice during cook time. Alternately you can do this stovetop in a skillet .
- Mix apple mixture well and spoon evenly into baking dish.
- In a medium/large bowl - combine remaining ingredients. Mix until well blended. Pour or spoon evenly over apple mixture.
- Bake for 25 - 28 minutes. The middle should be set and the pancake should be puffed up and edges nicely browned.
- Let sit for a few minutes before cutting. I think this pancake is perfect served as is - but you could sprinkle with a bit of powdered sugar. Enjoy : )