Here’s a great way to use up leftover baby food! A simple yet delicious cake made with baby fruits & veggies. Soft, fluffy, moist and loaded with flavor.
I’ve said it before and I’m sure I’ll say it a million times over. If there is one thing I hate, it’s waste. Between dogs and chickens, we have pretty much eliminated our household food waste. As conscientious I am of what I buy, I’ll still occasionally find a pantry item that we won’t use. On this occasion, it was a few stacks of pureed baby food. I bought so much of it on sale, and it turned out my daughter is simply not into pureed fruits of veggies. Or any baby food, for that matter. Luckily, baby food is a wonderful addition to many of your everyday baked goods. Today we’ll keep it simple with a cake made with baby food 🙂
This really is a basic, simple cake recipe that will yield a moist, fluffy, flavorful cake. You could change the spices and extracts depending on what types of baby foods you use. I used a combination of carrots, prunes and butternut squash with apples. Vanilla and cinnamon complimented that combo perfectly.
If you wanted to continue to get creative, you could substitute pureed baby food in many of your baked goods in place of a portion of the butter or oil. It can be used pretty much the same way applesauce is used in baking. Take into consideration that some flavors may be stronger than applesauce.
This cake mixes up and bakes quick. It’s soft, fluffy, super moist and has a lovely buttery fruit flavor. A sprinkle of powdered sugar or a dollop of jam or fruit butter makes this a simple yet delicious dessert.
Please do try! This is a great way to use up any baby food that won’t get used or that your little one just doesn’t like. If there’s no baby food in your house you could easily make a puree of leftover cooked veggies and fruits to make this cake.
Thanks for stopping by! Happy Baking ♥
Soft & Fluffy Cake Made With Baby Food
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup softened butter at room temp
- 3 eggs at room temp
- 1 cup baby food combination is best (I used carrots, prunes & butternut squash w/ apple)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 325°. Grease & flour a bundt or tube pan.
- In a large mixing bowl cream sugar and butter.
- Beat in eggs.
- Beat in baby food, vanilla, cinnamon and salt until mixed.
- Mix in baking powder and flour, 1/2 cup at a time, until combined.
- Batter will be fluffy 🙂
- Spoon/scrape into prepared pan.
- Bake for 40 - 45 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on wire rack. After 20 minutes, turn cake onto rack and finish cooling.
- Serve plain, with a sprinkle of powdered sugar, or a dollop of jam or fruit butter.
- Enjoy 🙂