Make your own homemade chocolate syrup in minutes – just like Hershey’s. Makes a mean glass of chocolate milk. Or drizzle on top of ice cream, fruits, desserts – you do you ♥
I’m always on a quest to make things at home that you would usually buy ready made or prepackaged at a store. Sometimes I want a healthier alternative, sometimes I’m trying to save a few bucks & other times I’m just too lazy to go to the store. For whatever motivation, I find myself experimenting often.
I’ve already shared a recipe for Powdered Chocolate Milk Mix. Think Nesquik. It gets mostly good reviews. Except for this one.
Said one reader:
“I am actually disappointed with this. I was really looking forward to a nice cold glass of chocolate milk. But instead I was greeted with a cup of lies and sadness.”
Ouch. So what happened here? I think one of three things. They could be accustomed to store bought, super creamy & chocolatey chocolate milk – which you’ll never make at home by just stirring in a syrup or powder. Sorry, but not sorry.
Perhaps they’re used to chocolate milk made with chocolate syrup which is definitely a sweeter version than powdered.
Or last, they weren’t happy with how it takes some effort to get the powder to dissolve into the milk. Which, I may add, is currently the issue I’ve been having with the store bought powdered stuff I’m using. My kiddo takes a sip, puts it down and by the time she returns for another sip, all the powder has sunk to the bottom. Boohoo.
I’ll say that I have never been a huge fan of chocolate syrup. Not on my ice cream nor in my milk. I swore by the powdered stuff for chocolate milk. Kids & finicky tastes have me singing a different tune these days…
This homemade chocolate syrup is certainly simple to make. Throw it all in a saucepan and heat & stir. That’s it.
Give it a try – it really is impressive. It’s quick, simple & cheap to make. I really prefer the half corn syrup/half sugar version, but go for the all sugar version if you don’t have any corn syrup on hand. The chocolate milk lovers in my house are loving this stuff!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Homemade DIY Chocolate Syrup
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder regular, unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- *I recommend regular cocoa powder. I tried Dutch processed - it's just not as good.
- *You may omit the corn syrup and use 1 cup sugar total. The corn syrup version was preferred.
- Combine cocoa powder & water in a saucepan over medium heat.
- Whisk until smooth & thick.
- Add in sugar, corn syrup & salt. Continue to cook & whisk for a few minutes, until mixture comes to a light boil.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Store refrigerated in sealed jar.
- For chocolate milk - add 2-3 tablespoons (to taste) to a glass of milk.