Delicious Soft & Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies. This classic cookie (my all time favorite) are a breeze to mix & bake!
There are two different groups of cookie aficionados. The soft & chewy cookie lovers & the crispy cookie lovers.
I fall into the soft & chewy group. There are a few exceptions (think biscotti) – but for the most part if it’s crispy – I’m just not interested.
I know I’m alone on this one in my household – but these Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies are my all-time favorite.
Oatmeal cookies have always been my favorite, since I was a kid. I rarely got a good, chewy oatmeal cookie (or any for that matter) – so Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies were my jam back then.
Of couse I’ve got a story to tell… I was 18 years old and got talked into a Christmas Cookie Swap – 12 dozen. Sure, who doesn’t love Christmas Cookies – but I was clueless when it came to baking.
First I produced numerous burnt batches. Then I produced numerous rock hard batches. It was a baking disaster and I had no clue to what I was doing.
In the mist of the baking confusion, one of my forever best friends showed up. He knew exactly what I was doing wrong – simply over baking. I was baking until I thought the cookie was thoroughly baked – lol – feeling by firmness. Simple now, yes, but back then I had no idea! That day I learned how to properly bake cookies. Thank you Travis!
Side note – Travis has went on to be an awesome, punk rockstar of a chef ♥
These Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies are simple as simple can be to mix up & bake. I love baking these for fundraising & school events – they always disappear quickly. They’re the good old-fashioned, somehow forgotten, cookie that everyone still loves.
Chewy Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Raisin Cookies
- 1 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cup salted butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats / old fashioned oats
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375°
- In a stand mixer or large mixing bowl, cream brown sugar, butter & granulated sugar.
- Add eggs, milk & vanilla – beat until combined.
- Add flour, baking soda, cinnamon & salt – beat until soft dough forms.
- Slowly beat (or stir) in oats, chocolate chips & raisins until just combined.
- Drop by heaping teaspoons of cookie dough on ungreased cookie sheets – 2" apart.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Let cookies rest for a minute before transferring to a wire rack.