This is one of those recipes that I wouldn’t even bother to try if I hadn’t tasted it first. Now, by no means am I a baking snob. Trust me – I’ll whip up a batch of boxed cake mix cookies and love every last bite of those cookies like nobody’s business. It’s just one of those recipes that doesn’t sound right on paper. One glance at the ingredients and you’ll know this Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Bar is probably unlike anything you’ve baked before.
I discovered this cookie bar a few years back at a church bazaar. It is a beautiful church in an “iffy” section of a nearby city. I visited their monthly bazaar as often as I could. I would always leave thriftily happy with a bagful of random stuff – antiques, kitchen gadgets, decorative glass, toys, books – all for a few dollars. At the checkout area they had a table with coffee and loaded with homemade baked goods. Everything was always so delicious – these little old ladies could get their bake on! This cookie bar was on that table. The baker of that cookie bar was behind that table and was beaming with joy from our compliments. She was proud of the simplicity of her recipe and happy to share it.
Graham cracker crumbs instead of flour – who would have guessed? Really though, it makes perfect sense. Now you’ve just discovered a whole new world for graham crackers besides smores and pie crusts. I’m sure a lot of you busy bakers are crazy excited and gonna start some experimenting. I know I did 🙂
As for this recipe – it doesn’t get much simpler. Mix ingredients and bake. This is a great recipe to let the kiddos mix up for you! Also good for sampling / snacking on the “raw cookie dough”.
One dirty bowl and half an hour later – you got yourself these Chewy Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Bars. Wait for them to cool and devour. Or don’t wait and devour them warm. Either way – they’re totally delicious.
I can’t wait to hear what everyone thinks of these Chocolate Chip Graham Cracker Bars! Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy Baking!
*pssssttt. I make a smores bar from this recipe. I’ll share soon 🙂
- 2 cups graham cracker crumbs (approx 24-28 crackers)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 14 ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 heaping cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°. Spray / grease a 8" square baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt.
- Add sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and chocolate chips. Stir until combined with no more dry patches. Batter will be thick.
- Spoon batter into baking dish and evenly spread out.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until top starts to turn a light golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.
- Cut into squares and enjoy!