Welcome fall with this Apple Cranberry Crisp! Cinnamon baked apples, a sweet & tart layer of cranberry sauce topped with a candied, crumbly, buttery oat topping.
This was originally posted September 13, 2015. I’ve updated a few of the photos during some fall baking.
My love of fresh cranberry is no secret. The tart little berries are my favorite thing to bake with. I could add cranberries into (just about) everything I bake and live happily ever after.
As for the canned stuff – I do like it – but I feel it misrepresents all the awesomeness of cranberries.
I quote myself:
“Poor, misunderstood cranberries. They have such a bad reputation. People associate this sweet and tangy berry with that lumpy, clumpy, almost gelatin like blob of canned sauce that gets served on holidays. There’s so much more to this superfruit.”
An email from a reader prompted me to share this recipe. She commented on how much she loves the flavor of cranberry but never has anything but canned sauce on hand. She requested an easy, fall dessert made with cranberry sauce. I have the perfect recipe!
First, I’ll mention though, Fall brings cranberry season! Yay!!!! I always like to remind everyone to stock up when they’re in season, or after the winter holidays when the prices drop. Cranberries freeze perfectly, just throw the little baggies in the freezer “as is” for year round goodness.
Fall also brings apple season and it’s currently in full swing. I just bought a half bushel of fresh apples from a nearby farmer for $5 dollars. That’s over 20 pounds of apples for 5 bucks. Crazy!!! Lucky for my family, we love all things apple!
Onto the recipe already, I know! Nothing says early fall to me more than an Apple Cranberry Crisp. Apples are in abundance and the flavor of cranberry gets us excited about holidays to come.
Even better, this Crisp is super simple to put together. The most effort here will be slicing the apples!
Welcome fall with this Apple Cranberry Crisp! Fresh baked apples with cinnamon, a sweet & tart layer of cranberry sauce and a candied, crumbly, buttery oat topping. Yum! Add a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or your favorite yogurt – you’ll be kissing Summer good-bye!
Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy Baking 🙂
Apple & Cranberry Crisp
- 4-5 baking apples about 1 1/4 lbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can of cranberry sauce 15 - 16 oz. can
- 1 cup quick/rolled oats uncooked
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease or spray a 11" x 7" baking dish.
- Peel, core and slice apples into sixteenths.
- Evenly arrange apples in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, gently toss.
- Spoon cranberry sauce on top of apples. Using a spatula, smooth cranberry sauce into an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar and flour. Mix.
- Add cold butter slices to mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
- Spoon & evenly spread topping over cranberry layer.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until top is a light golden brown.
- Remove form oven and cool on wire rack. This can be served warm or cold.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy 🙂