Welcome Fall with this Apple Cranberry Crisp! Cinnamon baked apples, a sweet & tart layer of cranberry topped with a candied, crumbly, buttery oat topping! This recipe is made easy using canned cranberry sauce.
This post may contain affiliate links & Amazon affiliate links. As always, all opinions are my own. Thanks for reading & thanks for your support!Jump to Recipe
Cranberries – A Superfruit
My love of fresh cranberry is no secret. The tart little berries are my favorite thing to bake with. They pair well with apples, lemon, orange, chocolate…
As for the canned stuff – I really do like it – but I feel it misrepresents all the awesomeness of cranberries.
I quote myself:
“Poor, misunderstood cranberries. They have such a bad reputation. People associate this sweet and tangy berry with that lumpy, clumpy, almost gelatin like blob of canned sauce that gets served on holidays. There’s so much more to this superfruit.”
Stock Up On Fresh Cranberry While In Season
Even though we’re using canned cranberry sauce in this recipe – I still have to mention…Fall brings cranberry season! Yay!!!! I always like to remind everyone to stock up when they’re in season, or after the winter holidays when the prices drop. Cranberries freeze perfectly, just throw the little baggies in the freezer “as is” for year round goodness.
Fall also brings apple season and it’s currently in full swing. I just bought a half bushel of fresh, but imperfect, apples from a nearby farmer for $5 dollars. That’s over 20 pounds of apples for 5 bucks. It’s best to buy local (for so many reasons) whenever you can.
An email from a reader prompted me to share this recipe. She commented on how much she loves the flavor of cranberry but never has anything but canned sauce on hand. She requested an easy, fall dessert made with cranberry sauce. I have the perfect recipe!
Onto the recipe already, I know!
This Apple Cranberry Crisp is super simple to put together. The most effort here will be slicing the apples!
The apples and cranberry sauce get layered in a 11×7 baking dish. I use my trusty old pyrex dish. I love the lids with these dishes for easy storage!
To make the crumb topping – combine the oats, brown sugar, flour and cut in the cold butter. I use this pastry blender, but you can use forks, knives, a stand mixer – some folks use their hands.
Serve & Enjoy
This Apple Cranberry Crisp can be served warm or cold. It’s perfect as-is or add a dollop of whipped cream, a scoop of vanilla ice cream or your favorite yogurt.
Hope you enjoy!
Apple Cranberry Crisp
- 4-5 baking apples about 1 1/4 lbs
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 can of cranberry sauce 15 – 16 oz. can
- 1 cup quick/rolled oats uncooked
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar packed
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup butter cold
- Preheat oven to 350°. Lightly grease or spray a 11″ x 7″ baking dish.
- Peel, core and slice apples into sixteenths.
- Evenly arrange apples in baking dish.
- Sprinkle with cinnamon, gently toss.
- Spoon cranberry sauce on top of apples. Using a spatula, smooth cranberry sauce into an even layer.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rolled oats, brown sugar and flour. Mix.
- Add cold butter slices to mixture. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until crumbly.
- Spoon & evenly spread topping over cranberry layer.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until top is a light golden brown.
- Remove form oven and cool on wire rack. This can be served warm or cold.
- Top with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream if desired. Enjoy 🙂