A moist layered bar booming with banana and chocolate in every bite. Chocolate chips give it an extra richness and creaminess. Super easy to make!
I love all things chocolate. I love baking with chocolate. I love bananas, but not “raw” straight out of the peel. It’s a quirky thing. I love the taste of bananas, but not their dry yet mushy texture. So I get my banana fill by baking with them. How many ways can I combine chocolate and bananas in baked goods? Trust me, this is hardly the beginning….
You’ll dirty a few bowls but these bars go together effortlessly. After all your ingredients are mixed together, divide batter in half into two separate bowls. This doesn’t have to be measured exactly, just eyeball it. In one half, stir in chocolate chips. In the other half, add cocoa powder and mix. Spoon cocoa batter into greased baking dish and smooth out with a spatula. Spoon other half on top, carefully smoothing out with a spatula. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
Result – a moist layered bar booming with banana and chocolate in every bite. This is a very cake like bar. At first glance you might be tempted to frost these bars – but trust me – they do not need it. The chocolate chips give you that creaminess.
Delicious, super easy to mix up and made with ingredients you more than likely have on hand. Goes together great last minute and makes a perfect dessert or after school snack. I hope you enjoy these bars as much as we do! Thanks for stopping by and Happy Baking!
* Recipe inspired by “Taste of Home” Black-Bottom Banana Bars *
Layered Chocolate Banana Bars
- 1/2 cup butter 1 stick, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 extra ripe bananas mashed
- 1 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350. Grease or spray a 13" x 9" baking dish.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar.
- Add in egg, vanilla extract and mashed bananas - mix until well combined.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture - mix until well combined.
- Divide batter in half into two separate bowls. This doesn't have to be measured exactly, just eyeball it.
- In one half, stir in chocolate chips.
- In the other half, mix in cocoa powder.
- Spoon cocoa batter into greased baking dish and smooth out with a spatula. Spoon chocolate chip batter on top, carefully smoothing out with a spatula.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool completely on wire rack. Cut into bars and serve/ or store.