Chewy chocolate cookies with a creamy cool mint center. These Chocolate Peppermint Pattie Cookies need to be added to your Christmas cookie bake list!
I had these cookies for the first time last year. My neighbor, one of the sweetest ladies in the world, brought us over a plate of beautiful homemade Christmas cookies. Every cookie was delicious – but there was one cookie that we all wanted and didn’t want to share. They were chocolate cookies with a peppermint filling.
After eating a few of them, it was decided that the centers had to be (or could be) peppermint patties. It was also decided that I was nominated to bake these cookies in the near future….
Crazy how I forgot about these cookies for almost a year.
After doing a recent shakedown of my pantry, I found a bag of peppermint patties. I had bought them months ago to make these cookies and totally forgot about them. Perfect timing!
I’ll admit, I almost didn’t share this recipe. These cookies are delicious but they’re a bit fussy to make. Not hard, just fussy and a little messy. I can handle messy, but fussy annoys me. I only have so much patience to go around.
What’s the fussiness about? You’re basically forming the soft, mushy and sticky cookie dough around the peppermint pattie. Sounds easy enough, right? It probably is. Just pay attention to making sure that the patty is completely covered in cookie dough. I wasn’t so attentive and had a few oozy messes.
The cookies sat around for a day. My annoyance wore off. I ate a few and I realized I had to share these cookies. They’re simply too delicious to be left unshared.
I hope you enjoy these Chocolate Peppermint Patty Cookies. Go ahead and decorate them if you’d like! I sprinkled a pinch of crushed candy cane on the tops but they’re just as brilliant without any toppings! Happy Baking!
Thanks so much for stopping by!
- ⅔ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 18 - 20 small peppermint patties, unwrapped
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together butter and sugar.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla, mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add flour mixture to butter mixture,stirring with spoon until well combined and no more dry patches.
- Refrigerate dough for 1 -2 hours or until chilled and firm enough to handle. Dough will be a little soft.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease cookie sheet or line with parchment paper.
- Scoop out tablespoon of cookie dough. Roll dough into a ball. Flatten slightly and press peppermint patty into dough. Mold dough around patty so that it is completely covered. It's important that the patty is completely covered - it will melt and ooze out if it's not.
- Place on prepared cookie sheet.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until cookie is set.
- Let cookie rest for a minute or two on cookie sheet and carefully transfer to wire rack. Cool completely. Store in sealed container.
- Makes approximately 18 cookies.