Cucumber slices topped with cream cheese, crab & spicy sriracha mayo. Delicious & super simple to assemble – anyone can make this at home!
We’re definitely not all sushi chefs…
*Raises hand*. That’s me.
I LOVE sushi, but have absolutely none of the skill or talent to make it myself. I respect & appreciate the art.
I have learned to assemble simple, no rice or rolling involved, tasty sushi creations at home. This Cucumber & Crab Sushi is great for lunch, dinner & for company! Finished, this looks far fancier & fussier than it really is!
Ingredients for this Cucumber Sushi are pretty straight forward. Cucumbers, cream cheese, imitation crab meat, siracha and mayonnaise.
You’ll be cutting the crab meat into matchstick size pieces, so it’s easiest to work with “leg style” imitation crab meat.
Amounts vary. Depending on how thick you cut the cucumbers and cream cheese. I cut the cucumbers in 1/2″ slices, the cream cheese in about 1/4″ slices.
This is super easy to put together, even for those who are presentation challenged *raises hand, again*
I like to start the prep work for this a night ahead. If you’re not working that far ahead, at least start with the prep work an hour or two ahead.
Why? The cream cheese. I cut the block of cream cheese in half length wise and transfer to wax or parchment paper. I then wrap and roll it (think like a rolling pin) to round out the cream cheese.
This makes the cream cheese super soft, so I keep it wrapped and put it in the fridge for at least an hour so it sets up nicely for when you need to slice it.
I then cut the crab and mix up the spicy mayo. It’s easiest to have everything prepped and ready to assemble.
Can this be made ahead of time?
I do all the prep work the night before (rolling the cream cheese, slicing the crab, mixing up the mayo).
I wouldn’t suggest cutting the cucumbers to far ahead of serving (a few hours max) Cucumbers get watery and lose their crunch after cutting.
Keep refrigerated until ready to serve. This is best eaten fresh while the cucumbers are crunchy & crisp.
Hope you enjoy!
Want more cucumber? Click here to check out my Cucumber Appetizer with boursin cheese, smoked salmon & capers!
- parchment or wax paper
- 2 large cucumbers
- 6 ounces imitation crab meat leg style
- 8 ounce cream cheese block
- 1 1/2 tablespoon real mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 tablespoon sriracha
- It's easiest to prep ingredients first and then assemble. The cream cheese should be refrigerated for at least half an hour prior to assembling. I often do all the prep work the night before / hours before. Cucumbers should not be sliced until ready to assemble & serve.
- Remove cream cheese from packaging. Cut the block of cream cheese in half length wise and transfer to wax or parchment paper. Wrap and roll it (think like a rolling pin) to round out the cream cheese. Keep cream cheese wrapped and chill in refrigerator for at least half an hour. (This rolling process makes the cream cheese super soft. Chilling for at least half an hour sets it up nicely for when you need to slice it. )
- Cut crab legs into matchstick sized pieces. I find it easiest to cut the stick into thirds. I then cut each section into 4 or 5 pieces. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- In a small bowl, mix together mayo & sriracha.
- When ready to assemble: peel cucumbers and slice into about 1/2" thick pieces.
- Cut rounded cream cheese into 1/4" slices. Put cream cheese rounds on top of cucumber slice.
- Place 2 cut crab sticks on top of cream cheese, gently pressing the crab down into the cream cheese. You can get creative on how you do this – but keep in mind that you want to be able to pick this up and eat it without it falling apart. I do some criss-cross, most pieces I lay the crab side by side.
- Drizzle spicy sriracha mayo on top of sushi pieces.
- Keep refrigerated. This is best when served fresh to within a few hours from preparation.
Wanna explore more sushi recipes without rice? Start by checking out this “No Rice Sushi with Smoked Salmon” recipe from “Low Carb Simplified”
Leave a Reply