Try this make-ahead breakfast – Sausage & Cheese Grit Cakes. A delicious, hearty & comforting breakfast – ready to heat & eat when you are.
Savory Breakfasts For The Win
Breakfast can be a tricky meal for some (raises hand). Quick breakfasts tend to be sweet – muffins, protein bars, oatmeal, pancakes.
I prefer a savory breakfast. Potatoes, sausage, bacon, cheese – all that hearty goodness. Truth be told, though, besides frying up a few eggs for the kiddos – I don’t cook in the morning.
Nothing beats having a hearty breakfast – prepped and ready to heat & eat.
That’s where these Sausage & Cheese Grit Cakes come into place. You can make this ahead of time for the week and pan fry, bake or even pop them in the microwave if you’re really short on time.
Mix, Bake and Fry
Making this recipe is pretty straight forward. Cook a pot of grits. Stir in cooked & crumbled breakfast sausage & shredded cheese. Scrape it into a casserole dish and refrigerate it. Once it’s cooled thru & firm – you’re ready to go. I usually make this a day ahead of time so I don’t have to wait for it to setup.
The best method of preparing these grit cakes is frying. Add a generous amount of oil and have at it. I prefer butter in every scenario – but these grit cakes get a little messy & sticky in butter. So oil it is.
You can bake these in the oven as well. Line a cookie sheet with aluminum foil, grease, dot the tops with butter and bake.
You can get fancy and use cookie/biscuit cutters to cut these. I’m not so fancy – I (usually) just cut them into squares.
Top these Sausage & Cheese Grit Cakes with an egg, or maple syrup, maybe a dollop of sour cream or more cheese. Or just go ahead and eat them plain – they’re perfectly delicious!
Sasuage & Cheese Grit Cakes
- 1 cup stone ground grits
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pound breakfast sausage roll
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- oil for frying
- flour optional
- egg, maple syrup or sour cream, to serve optional
- In a saucepan with a tight fitting lid, bring chicken broth to a boil.
- Stir in grits & pinch of salt. Reduce heat to low & cover. Simmer for twenty minutes, stirring occasionally.
- While grits are cooking, crumble and brown breakfast sausage. Drain fat.
- When grits are finished cooking, stir in sausage & shredded cheese. Taste and salt if necessary. Usually the chicken broth & sausage adds enough.
- Pour grits into a greased 13X9 baking dish.
- Let dish rest at room temp for about half an hour then store in refrigerator. Chill until firm – at least 2 hours. I prefer to make this the day ahead.
- When ready to serve, cut grit cakes into squares, dip in flour if you'd like and fry in 1/2" deep cooking oil. Lightly brown on both sides. Alternatively, you can bake on a greased cookie sheet: dot tops with butter and bake at 400° for about 25 minutes. Have no time – go ahead and throw it in the microwave.
- Can be eaten alone or served with maple syrup, sour cream or an egg on top.