Made With Just Salt & Olive Oil – a Simple & Delicious Recipe for Roasted Fresh Red Beets.
Beets – An Acquired Taste
I suppose beets are a bit of an acquired taste. People love them or hate them. Their flavor is described as earthy or metallic, which I get, but they also have a sweet and almost tangy taste to them. I love them raw, juiced, steamed, pickled and roasted, of course.
The Beautiful Simplicity of Roasted Vegetables
Roasted root veggies. The beauty of it all – a little olive oil, salt and a hot oven is all it takes to transform a plain old root into a lovely vegetable. Tender on the outside, caramelized with a little bite of crisp on the outside – that’s a root vegetable at it’s finest.
Roasting is a perfectly simple way to prepare beets. Make sure you wear a pair of gloves unless you want to share your love of beets for all to see with your crimson stained hands. I scrub, peel and quarter the beets. The latter two are optional.
I usually roast veggies at 375° – 400°. This temperature range has always worked best for me. I toss and flip the veggies a few times, but if I forget them for a bit, things don’t start to burn. You can certainly roast at higher temps and reduced times, just keep a closer eye on the veggies and flip more often.
Serve As Is or With a Drizzle of Balsamic
I love these beets served as is. Taste & adjust salt if necessary. A drizzle of balsamic vinegar also compliments them nicely.
Thanks for stopping by!
Simple Roasted Beets
- 1 pound beets approx
- 3 – 4 tablespoon olive oil
- Freshly ground sea salt
- Balsamic vinegar optional
- Preheat oven to 375°
- Wash, peel and quarter beets. I keep it tidy and wear gloves when playing with beets. I’m not rocking red stained hands.
- Place beets on cookie sheet covered in aluminum foil. Drizzle olive oil over beets, toss until coated.
- Generously salt beets.
- Bake for 70 – 85 minutes or until beets are fork tender and nicely caramelized. Flip a few times during cooking, add a bit more oil if beets seem to be drying out.
- Taste, salt additionly if needed. Lightly drizzle balsamic vinegar over beets if desired. Enjoy!