Light, fluffy and tender Low Carb / Keto Flax Pancakes that are ridiculously simple to make. Awesome breakfast for Carb Counters & Diabetics – but great for anyone who enjoys a healthy breakfast!
This post contains affiliate links and/or Amazon affiliate links. This means that if you were to make a purchase through one of these links, Crafty Cooking Mama would receive a small percentage of the sale price, but you won’t have any additional cost. Any revenue made from sales through these links helps to support the costs of running this blog. Thanks for reading & thanks for your support!
Pancakes. People love them. Pancake options, combinations and toppings are endless. The humble pancake has been reinvented a million different ways and people still find joy in getting creative with them.
With a diabetic in the family I had to rethink my pancake recipes. I worked on some whole wheat pancakes and coconut flour pancakes, both delicious and will be shared in the future.
But I knew I could do better. The flavor and textures were great – but I knew I could get lower with the carbohydrate numbers. I knew the solution as well – the almighty ground flaxseed meal.
I love ground flax. It’s an ingredient I use often – it tastes great, is filling, packs some serious nutrition and it’s cheap! I add it to yogurt, smoothies, to many of my baked goodies and I love making breakfast foods with it – I make a mean flax porridge and endless flax mug muffin combinations. I knew with a little coaxing it would take on pancake form perfectly.
I found a few recipes online to try and start with – like always, it’s a lot of trial and error. When I finally found something that worked I just about fell in love. Simple, to the point, and tasted like a pancake you would want to eat any given morning.
You’ll definitely know that it’s not your regular all-purpose flour pancake, but man-oh-man, it sure is surprisingly close. Light, fluffy and tender – with a drizzle of syrup some might not even notice the difference. My family was in disbelief. My daughter loves them and says they remind her of “French Toast Pancakes”. Seriously, people without any dietary restrictions can appreciate this pancake as much as those who have to count carbs. Low Carb Keto Flax Pancakes for all!
Try it. Get your healthy on. You’ll love it, at least with this recipe you will 😉
Thanks for stopping by ♥
Flax Pancakes | Low Carb Keto & Diabetic Friendly
- 3 tablespoon flaxseed meal
- 1 tablespoon stevia in the raw or preferred low cal sweetener
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- butter about 1 tablespoon
- In a small bowl combine flaxseed meal, stevia, baking powder, cinnamon and salt.
- Whisk in eggs and vanilla extract.
- Add butter to griddle or frying pan and heat to medium heat. I set my griddle at about 250°F.
- Pour out pancakes in about 1/4 cup portions – I use a ladle. You should get 4 – 5 pancakes.
- Cook for 3-5 minutes or until set and golden brown, flip and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy. I serve with butter and an assortment of syrups & jams. Sugar free syrup, real maple syrup, chocolate syrup….
- NOTE This recipe makes about 4 pancakes – 1 hearty serving. Recipe can easily be tripled or doubled. These pancakes are great made ahead and reheated.