You’ll love how easy it is to make these sweet, tart, zingy lemon bars with a buttery shortbread crust! A sweet, delicious & almost fancy dessert.
I was thinking out loud one day last week. I was asking myself what dessert I should bake for a lunch date my family had. My daughter overheard my Looney Tunes moment and answered my question quite simply. “Mommy, you haven’t made lemon bars forever. Your lemon bars are delicious.” Good answer, Athena. Lemon bars it would be.
People associate lemon bars with a delectable treat purchased from a fancy bakery. I get it – they are a very pretty and delicious dessert. Though in reality, they are one of the easiest, least fussiest baked goods to make. Say I were to teach a class for “The Worst Bakers Ever”. This would be the first recipe I would teach them – it would certainly restore some faith in their baking abilities! Simple, foolproof yet impressively delicious.
These lemon bars have MAJOR flavor. Sweet, tart, smooth, almost creamy and booming with lemon zing. Oh, and let’s not forget about the crust. It’s not in the way, not an after thought, not some crust you have to eat because it’s there and the foundation of the bar. Nope, not at all. The crumbly, buttery shortbread crust will have you wanting more in each bite. Chances are you’ll be considering doubling that crust next time you make it.
So when life gives you lemons – make lemon bars! These lemon bars are sure to sweeten & brighten up any kind of day. Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy Baking 🙂
Sweet and Tart Lemon Bars
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 4 large eggs
- 2 large lemons
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 tablespoon flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- additional powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Spray or lightly grease a 13"x9" baking dish.
- For Crust:
- In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and 1/2 cup powdered sugar.
- Mix in flour. Mixture will resemble a fluffy cookie dough.
- Press evenly into baking dish.
- Bake for 20- 25 minutes or until edges and tops start lightly browning.
- Set aside, crust does not have to cool completely before filling.
- For Filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, using a whisk, beat eggs.
- Beat in juice and zest of both lemons.
- Mix in sugar, flour and salt until thoroughly combined.
- Pour filling into baked crust.
- Bake at 350° for 20 - 25 minutes or until edges start to lightly brown and center is set.
- Cool on wire rack.
- To serve, cut into squares and dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy 🙂
I am seriously craving these!!! I have to make them asap mmmmmmmmmm
Hi Angie! We love these lemon bars – too good and too easy to make. If they weren’t such a sugar bomb I’d make them far more often lol 🙂
These are too die for!! I love anything lemon and the sweet/tartness of these are delicious
These lemon bars are fabulously delicious! My husband is already asking me to make them again and I just made them today!