Cranberry Butter. This is booming, sweet, tart, concentrated in your face cranberry flavor!
It’s that time of the year folks. It only comes once a year…cranberry season! Most people casually pick up a bag or two of cranberries to make some sauce or a cake. I, on the other hand, am running out to the store in a frenzy to stock up on cranberries. I load up while I can. I usually buy enough to use for the season plus about 10 bags to freeze. Cranberries freeze perfectly – just throw the baggie in the freezer as is. It’s recommended to use them within 6 months of freezing, but I just recently used a bag from last year. 11 months in the freezer and still perfectly delicious!
So if you don’t already know, I love cranberries. I love baking with them – cranberries and chocolate are one of my favorite sweet combos ever. Cranberries are not a seasonal treat for me – I need them year round!
I found this recipe for Cranberry Butter months & months ago and somehow totally forgot about it. Shame on me! Insomnia & Pinterest reunited me with this gem of a recipe. Perfect timing too – I just bought 10 bags of cranberries, hehe.
I must warn you, though. This recipe is not for the faint at heart. This is booming, sweet, tart, concentrated in your face cranberry boldness. It’s like a cousin of homemade cranberry sauce – only it’s smoother, creamier and on flavor steroids.
Oh, and it only gets better. Throw everything in the crockpot and walk away for a few hours. Toss everything in a food processor, pour thru a sieve then cook it down for a few more hours. Easy peasy.
So what did I do with the Cranberry Butter? I added a spoonful to oatmeal, spread it on fresh bread with brie and cream cheese, paired it with chocolate, served it with a cheese platter, added a dollop on top of a brownie and I plan on making a simple chocolate pound cake and topping it with some cranberry butter. I’d love to try it with a cheesecake too! You can bet I’ll be making another batch for the upcoming Thanksgiving festivities.
So get out there and stock up on cranberries while the getting is good. This Cranberry Butter is a great way to really savor the brightness & sweetness of this super food! Enjoy 🙂
Thanks so much for stopping by!
Recipe from “the view from great island”. I absolutely adore this blog! Seriously, it’s one of my favorites!
- 2 - 12 oz bags cranberries fresh or frozen, rinsed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- Add all the ingredients in a crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on high for about 2 hours or until cranberries are softened.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, set aside.
- In 2-3 separate batches, run the mixture thru a food processor for a minute or two.
- Pour the pureed cranberry thru a mesh sieve. Press with spatula or spoon to force puree through. Discard seeds/solids.
- Pour the pureed cranberry and cinnamon stick back into the crock pot.
- Cook on high with the lid ajar. Cook for about 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Try to avoid forming a "skin" on top. I stirred mixture about every 20 minutes or so.
- Pour cranberry butter in jars and store in fridge. Cranberry butter should keep for about a month. Enjoy 🙂
Want more cranberry recipes…I’ve got you covered 😉