Healthy Breakfast & Snack Muffins. Made with whole wheat flour, bananas, peanut butter & honey – these are filling, delicious & nutritious!
Hello 2016. This will be the best year EVER. Why….because it really does get better every year!
I suppose most people start off the new year with a list of resolutions. Any day is a good day for positive change – whatever is that motivates you is a wonderful thing! I try to work on things I need to achieve on a daily basis. I have quite a list of things I need to work on – there’s always room for improvement!
That being said, you don’t have to worry about any crash or fad diet trends happening here. I always have and always will enjoy a diet of varied eating habits, all in moderation. Lots of real deal baking, healthy(ish) baking, meats & poultry, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free – I do it all 🙂
My first recipe of the year is pretty random, simply meaning it wasn’t chosen because it held any type of significance to the New Year. I made it because I had whole wheat flour and bananas that needed to be used up.
This is a “healthier” baked good that’s actually really good. You could go ahead and junk it up with some chocolate chips and such – but it’s really not necessary. This muffin has plenty of flavor all on it’s own. It’s soft, moist and very dense. I love this muffin for breakfast, a snack or even for a quick missed meal – it will fill you up!
By now I’m sure we’re all aware of the list of benefits whole wheat flour has to offer. I try to work some into my baked goods when possible. In the case of these muffins, I went all or nothing with the whole wheat flour. This recipe is from a very health conscience friend of mine. Although I’ve always enjoyed her original recipe, it needed to be sweetened up just a bit to get the kiddos interested in it 😉
I hope 2016 will be a wonderful New Year for everyone. Why not get it started with these Whole Wheat Muffins for breakfast. Thanks so much for stopping by – Happy Baking!
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ - 1 teaspoon cinnamon (depending on taste)
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter
- ⅓ cup oil (i use avocado or coconut - use what you prefer)
- 2 medium bananas, mashed
- 1½ cups milk
- 4 tablespoons raw honey
- crushed walnuts (optional)
- 1 tablespoon turbinado sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, salt & cinnamon in a mixing bowl.
- Using a pastry blender, cut in peanut butter and oil until the mixture is pea sized crumbs.
- In a separate bowl, beat together mashed bananas, milk and honey.
- Add liquid mixture to flour mixture and stir until combined.
- Let mixture rest for about 5 minutes. Stir again.
- Spoon batter into greased or paper lined muffin cups. I fill these almost completely (less than a ¼" space) - they will not rise a whole lot.
- If using crushed walnuts, sprinkle on tops before baking. If using turbinado sugar, carefully sprinkle tops about halfway thru baking.
- Bake for 15 - 18 minutes or until tops are a light golden brown and set.
- Remove from tin and cool on wire rack. Enjoy 🙂