This Cranberry Butter is creamy & smooth with bright, bold, sweet & tart flavor. A cranberry lovers dream come true condiment. Made in the crockpot.
Cranberry Season – Load Up on Them While You Can!
It’s that time of the year folks. It only comes once a year…cranberry season!
Most people casually pick up a bag or two of cranberries to make some sauce or a cake. I, on the other hand, am running out to the store in a frenzy to stock up on cranberries.
I usually buy enough to use for the season plus at least 5 bags to freeze. Cranberries freeze perfectly – just throw the baggie in the freezer as is. It’s recommended to use them within 6 months of freezing, but I just recently used a bag from last year. 11 months in the freezer and still perfectly delicious!
Cranberry Butter Taste
This recipe is not for the faint at heart. This is booming, sweet, tart, concentrated in your face cranberry boldness. It’s like a cousin of homemade cranberry sauce – only it’s smoother, creamier and on flavor steroids.
Like all fruit (or berry) butters, time is a factor. It takes time to cook down.
Luckily, this is a minimal hands on process.
Throw everything in the crockpot and walk away for a few hours. Toss everything in a food processor, pour thru a sieve then cook it down for a few more hours. Easy peasy.
How to serve Cranberry Butter?
Add a spoonful to oatmeal. Try it on your toast or English muffin. Spread it on fresh bread with brie cheese, cream cheese or salted butter. Pair it with chocolate. Serve it with a cheese platter or on your charcuterie board. Add a dollop on top of a brownie, pound cake or cheesecake.
So get out there and stock up on cranberries while the getting is good. This Cranberry Butter is a great way to really savor the brightness & sweetness of this super food!
Recipe from “the view from great island”. Check out this wonderful food blog!
- 2 - 12 oz bags cranberries fresh or frozen, rinsed
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 cup apple juice or cider
- Add all the ingredients in a crock pot and stir to combine. Cook on high for about 2 hours or until cranberries are softened.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, set aside.
- In 2-3 separate batches, run the mixture thru a food processor for a minute or two.
- Pour the pureed cranberry thru a mesh sieve. Press with spatula or spoon to force puree through. Discard seeds/solids.
- Pour the pureed cranberry and cinnamon stick back into the crock pot.
- Cook on high with the lid ajar. Cook for about 2 hours or until thickened, stirring occasionally. Try to avoid forming a "skin" on top. I stirred mixture about every 20 minutes or so.
- Pour cranberry butter in jars and store in fridge. Cranberry butter should keep for about a month. Enjoy 🙂
Want more cranberry recipes…I’ve got you covered 😉