Wine and cheese lovers, rejoice!
Off the top of my head, without hesitation, I can list my favorite foods and drinks.
I love all of the above. I love them all equally. I could eat them everyday for the rest of my life and be a very happy woman. I prefer the good quality stuff, but I can joyfully make do with the basics.
Slow down, you say. We’re supposed to be talking about soup here.
Ohhh, but I am. A soup so delicious, so perfect for the wine & cheese enthusiast, that I almost have to remind myself that I’m not dreaming.
Today, folks, I’ll introduce you to a (not so secret) love of mine. Cheese & Wine Soup. Yup, you read that right. Get ready to fall head over heels.
It’s so simple to make, you’ll wonder why you haven’t already made it. It’s so delicious, you’ll be almost confused on how you haven’t tasted it before.
You can whip this soup up in about an hour. For the best of the best, grab the nicest chunk of sharp cheddar you can spring for. Your tastebuds will thank you for it 🙂
Serve this soup immediately. Cut up a loaf of fresh crusty bread and get to dipping. It’s perfect. Think port wine cheese – but far more refined, lighter, creamier and in soup form.
Oh, how I love this Cheese & Wine Soup and I’m betting you will too! Enjoy!
Thanks for stopping by!
This brilliant recipe has been adapted from Chef Albert Stockli. Check out his cookbook “Splendid Fare”.
Soup Sundays are in effect! Check this collaboration out for all kinds of soup inspiration from super fab, soup loving bloggers!!
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 leek, chopped (white part only)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 tablespoon cold water
- 1 cup shredded sharp chedder cheese, packed
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon pepper
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup dry white wine
- Combine chicken broth, chopped leek, celery and onion in a saucepan.
- Bring to a light boil, reduce heat and simmer covered for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Strain. Discard veggies.
- Return broth to saucepan. Heat over med/low heat.
- In a small bowl, combine cornstarch and cold water until smooth.
- Stir cornstarch paste into soup. Stir or whisk until soup is smooth and thickened.
- Stir in shredded cheese. Stir until completely smooth.
- Stir in salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- In a separate bowl, combine egg yolk & heavy cream. Whisk with fork.
- Add in (approx) ½ cup of the hot soup. Stir until well combined.
- Add mixture into soup. Stir constantly for about 2 minutes over low heat.
- Remove from heat. Stir in ¼ cup white wine. Serve immediately.
- Serve soup with lots of fresh, crusty bread for dipping. Enjoy!