We all have certain foods, tastes and smells that take us back. There are so many foods that bring back smiles and memories for me. If there’s one meal (ok – there’s a whole slew of meals) that makes me think of my Polish Grandmom it would be stuffed peppers or stuffed cabbage. She made both of them often. They were cheap, hearty and filling meals. Green peppers, beef, rice and tomato sauce – that combination, in any form, makes me think of my Grandmom, Halina.
This is a simple meal, nothing complicated. It involves minimal prep work followed by two hours of simmering. Plan ahead to get an early start on it and it’ll make a great and easy dinner any night of the week.
Here’s the run down. Prep the veggies & beef. Generously salt the beef and brown on all sides – set aside, saute the onions until a caramel brown, throw in garlic & saute for a minute. Add in remaining ingredients and browned beef, stir and bring to a bubbly boil, reduce heat to low and simmer for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. I told you it was easy : )
After 2 hours of patience you will be rewarded with delightfully tender beef. Serve a big saucey spoonful over a bowl of rice. This meal is perfectly hearty and delicious.
I hope you enjoy this wonderfully simple meal as much as my family does. Thanks for reading and Happy Cooking : )
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1½ lbs beef cubes
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 green peppers, chopped
- 1 can / jar tomato sauce, approx 15 oz
- 1 can crushed tomatoes, 14.5 oz
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- pinch pepper
- pinch oregano
- salt & pepper to taste
- rice for 5-6 servings, prepared
- Heat oil over medium/high heat in a large skillet or dutch oven.
- Generously salt beef cubes.
- Add beef cubes and brown on all sides. Set aside.
- Add onions and saute until a caramel brown.
- Add garlic, saute for a minute.
- Add green peppers, tomato sauce, crushed tomatoes, paprika, salt, basil, chili powder, pepper, oregano and beef.
- Bring everything to a bubbly boil, stirring continuously.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about 2 hours or until beef is tender.
- Salt & pepper to taste if necessary. Serve over rice.
- Enjoy : )