A Flavorful Smoked Salmon Spread Using Canned Salmon and Liquid Smoke. Effortless to make!
This post may contain Amazon affiliate links. Thanks for reading & thanks for your support!Jump to Recipe
Today I'm sharing a simple but tasty Smoked Salmon Spread made from pretty basic pantry staples.
As much as I LOVE smoked salmon – I don't always have it on hand, or it's not in the budget, or I just want to enjoy it as is. Keeping canned salmon in the pantry for salmon cakes, salads and spreads is a crafty idea for quick bites.
Personally, I prefer to use green onions in this recipe – but any onion you like will do.
If you got a few minutes, you've got enough time to make this recipe. Smoked Salmon Spread couldn't be simpler to mix up!
Pick any bones out of the salmon and gently mix in the rest of the ingredients. This is best refrigerated for a few hours to allow flavors to blend.
Liquid smoke is great when it adds just a touch of smokiness to a dish – but it's awful when it becomes overwhelming. That being said, I suggest starting with the lower amount of liquid smoke. If you find the 1/2 teaspoon is not enough smokiness for you, go ahead and add another 1/2 teaspoon.
The result is a tasty salmon dip with just the right amount of smokey flavor. Most people aren't going to guess that this recipe started with (not so humble) canned salmon.
Serve with your favorite crackers, baguette slices or fresh cut veggies.
Hope you enjoy!
Smoked Salmon Spread
- 1 can salmon 7 oz – 8 oz can
- 1 package cream cheese (softened at room temp) 8 oz
- 2 tablespoon lemon juice lemons juice best at room temp
- 1 tablespoon minced onion I prefer green onion, but any will do
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke taste, if you prefer more smokiness add another 1/2 teaspoon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Drain salmon. Flake salmon into bowl and pick out any bones.
- Add cream cheese, lemon juice, minced onions, 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke and salt & pepper to taste. Gently mix until combined.
- Taste and make any adjustments. If you would prefer a little more smokiness, go ahead and add another 1/2 teaspoon of liquid smoke.
- This can be eaten right away, but is best if covered & refrigerated for a few hours, allowing flavors to blend. Serve with your favorite crackers, baguette slices or cut veggies.