I’ve been craving cranberries this past week. After being sick and finally getting some taste back I needed something to shock my taste buds with some major flavor. Mmmm…cranberries with all their tart sweetness. Even better – Cranberry Orange Nut Bread.
Months ago, I stocked up on a few bags of cranberries. In case you didn’t know – cranberry prices drop like crazy after Thanksgiving and Christmas. They freeze perfectly, just throw the little baggies in the freezer as is. Added bonus – cranberries can be baked without being thawed. How’s that for simple!? While happily filling my cart up with bags of cranberries an older lady chatted me up for a bit. She was also a cranberry enthusiast and recommended I try the bread recipe on the back of the Oceanspray bag. Duly noted.
This bread, like all quick breads, goes together very easily. They’re pretty much foolproof – just don’t over mix or over bake. Every good cranberry bread or muffin I’ve ever had the pleasure of eating always had big bites of berries in it. Hence why I prefer to cut most of the cranberries in half, just leaving the little ones whole. I know you’ll be tempted to pull out your food processor, really though, skip it this time. It’s not that bad of a job when the cranberries are frozen. As for nuts, I used what I had on hand – a mixture of walnuts and almonds.
This bread is delicious – perfectly moist! The orange and cranberries make this bread full of tangy tart sweetness. The nuts give it the perfect bit of crunchy texture. I love eating it as is, with a smear of butter or browned with a bit of butter in a frying pan. Yummers!
This folks, is why I stock up on cranberries the way I do. I love cranberries and get to enjoy these otherwise “seasonal” treats year round. I hope you enjoy this recipe. Thanks for reading and Happy Baking!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1½ teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ cup orange juice
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1½ cups Fresh or Frozen Cranberries - halved
- ½ cup chopped nuts
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Grease/spray a 9x5" loaf pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking soda.
- Add in orange juice, vegetable oil, orange peel and egg. Stir until just combined - DO NOT over mix.
- Stir in cranberries and nuts.
- Spread evenly in loaf pan.
- Bake for 50 - 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely.
- Serve and enjoy.