Fall is here. This is fabulously obvious in Lancaster County. The foliage is beginning it’s breathtaking transformation of glittering colors and it’s pumpkin galore on all the roadside produce stands.
As the children plan their costumes, I start planning my upcoming seasons of baking. I can’t stand the cold and almost hibernate during the coldest parts of the season. Take one guess what I do during those hibernation months – I bake. I bake in a frenzy, almost daily. It feels so good, filling the house with warm, comforting aromas on bitter cold days. Every winter, this hibernating mama bear packs on a few extra pounds from the fruits of the colder seasons.
I love making quick breads. You can’t find much more freedom in the baking world then right here. Quick breads welcome your creativity. Fresh and dried fruits, veggies, jams, nuts, skip the oils, applesauce, baby food…the possibilities are endless.
My carrot raisin bread is easy peasy. Whisk the dry ingredients together. Grate your carrots – the food processor makes this task ridiculously effortless. Though feel free to go old school and break out the grater – you can consider it a mini workout. Mix everything until combined – do not over mix. Spoon into a large loaf pan and sprinkle with chia seeds or chopped nuts. Bake until toothpick comes out clean or with a few dry crumbs. Done.
Result – a delicious, moist, lightly sweetened and spiced, reminiscent of a pumpkin bread. The carrots will really surprise you with their earthy sweetness in this bread and the raisins perfectly complete it. This bread is a HUGE hit in my house and never lasts more then a day or two. It also makes a great breakfast. A slice of this bread, a smear of peanut butter, a small glass of milk and a cup of coffee – I’m golden until lunchtime.
Hope you enjoy my Carrot Raisin Bread. This is made on a regular basis in my home and is sure to become one of your favorites too. Happy Baking…XOXO
- 2 cup flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teasppon salt
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 large very ripe banana
- 1½ cup grated carrots
- ½ cup applesauce, heaping
- 2 eggs, beaten
- ¾ cup raisins
- 2 teaspoon chia seeds
- Preheat oven to 350°
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt and spices. I like to mix the dry ingredients using a whisk. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mash the banana - I use a fork to do this. Add in carrots, applesauce and eggs. Mix well.
- Combine liquid mixture (applesauce, bananas) to dry bowl. Add in raisins. Mix until combined.
- Spoon bread mixture into a large, greased loaf pan.
- Sprinkle chia seeds over top.
- Bake for 60 -70 mins or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean / with a few dry crumbs.
- Let bread cool in loaf pan before turning out.