Fancy up your basic breakfast or brunch with these Bacon Wrapped Asparagus Bundles Topped With Quail Eggs. Simple enough to make any day of the week 🙂
Breakfast. I absolutely love it – after 10:00 am. I’ve never been a morning person, but I’ve adapted over the years. Early riser I am, early eater – not so much. Coffee is all my body requires until 10ish. So I suppose my daily eating habits would be “Coffee, Brunch, Lunch & Dinner”. It works for me.
Most days I prefer to eat simple breakfasts. Over easy eggs on an English muffin tends to be my go-to. I love eggs, and with a flock of happy free ranging chickens, I always have a surplus of the most amazing eggs ever to use.
Some days I enjoy fussing a bit more over my first meal of the day. With fresh asparagus, bacon and quail eggs staring back at me from my fridge – this meal just had to happen.
I am not a bacon fanatic and wrapping everything in bacon doesn’t overly excite me. That being said, there is a time & a place for everything. Like here & now. Just as you thought roasted asparagus couldn’t get any better – you go and try it wrapped it in bacon. Yum.
Quail eggs. They’re a lovely treat and I’m always happy when I get my hands on them. They don’t taste much different than a chicken egg – perhaps just a bit richer. You treat them just as you would a chicken egg, just adapt cooking time for a smaller egg.
Though a bit more special than my usual breakfast eats, this meal is still simple as simple can be. Prep the asparagus, wrap it in bacon and toss it in the oven. 30 – 35 minutes later it’s done. Fry up a few quail eggs in butter for a minute or two, slide them onto your asparagus and you’re ready to eat.
This breakfast is easy enough to be made any day of the week. It’s wonderful served as breakfast, brunch, lunch or dinner – cause really, who decides what’s deemed breakfast. This meal would definitely impress brunch time guests.
Oh, and if you can’t find quail eggs (though you really should try) you could certainly serve this with chicken or duck eggs.
Enjoy! Thanks for stopping by!
Bacon Wrapped Asparagus with Quail Eggs
- 1 - 1 1/2 pound asparagus
- 5-7 slices of bacon
- salt & pepper
- olive oil for spritzing
- quail eggs approx 1 dozen
- 1 -2 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 400°
- Rinse and trim asparagus.
- Create bundles of asparagus - 3-4 pieces each bundle. Plan on 4 pieces for average size asparagus, 3 pieces for thicker stalks.
- Salt and pepper each bundle and wrap bacon around bundle, wrapping upwards at an angle.
- Spritz any unwrapped areas (tips & ends) with olive oil.
- Place on cookie sheet and bake for 30 -35 minutes. Asparagus should be tender and bacon should be browned and crisp.
- Fry quail eggs in a generous amount of butter over medium heat for 1-2 minutes. I find it easiest to crack quail eggs with a butter knife into a small bowl, in pairs, and pour from bowl into frying pan.
- Slide pairs of cooked eggs on top of asparagus bundles. Salt & pepper to taste. Serve immediately.
- Note: Chicken or duck eggs may be substituted if quail eggs are not available.