A quick & simple smoked fish spread. Use smoked trout, salmon or any whitefish you have. Horseradish & lemon give it a bright flavor & an unexpected bite. Pairs nicely with your favorite crackers, veggies, pita or rye bread.
I promise this isn’t turning into a fish & seafood blog – we’ve just been eating much more of it these days. Fish & seafood have always been a household favorite. Usually the grocery budget keeps the purchasing at bay. Eating strictly at home the past year has given me more wiggle room with said grocery budget. Also, I’ve discovered a few grocery store apps where you can buy (perfectly fresh) food that’s nearing it’s sell by date at a serious discount. Yay!
We love fishing and have caught a TON of trout this year. I enjoy trout, I really do, but there’s only so much of it I can eat. I freeze whatever we don’t eat immediately. I save a few fresh fillets for a rainy day and smoke the rest. Chowders, dips, pates. With all that being said, just know that trout works wonderfully in this spread.
This Smoked Trout Spread is effortless to make. Throw the cream cheese, sour cream, lemon & horseradish in a food processor. Pick any skin and bones off the fish, chop and throw it in the food processor until just combined. Just combined are the key words here – you don’t want to pulverize the fish.
I serve this with pita bread, rye bread, crackers, triscuits or fresh veggies (think cucumbers, pepper slices).
This spread is great to set out on a table with various bites & nibbles for when company pops by. Quick & easy recipes are a must for last minute entertaining or laid back days.
This recipe makes about 2 cups of spread, so there’s plenty to go around.
Hope you enjoy – thanks for stopping by!
Smoked Trout Spread
- food processor
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 3 tbsp horseradish
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 pound smoked trout or salmon
- salt & pepper to taste
- Pita or rye bread pieces, fresh veggies (think cucumber and pepper slices), crackers to serve
- Combine cream cheese, sour cream, horseradish & lemon juice in food processor. Blend until smooth.
- Remove any skin or bones from fish. Chop into chunks.
- Add fish to food processor and pulse until just combined.
- Salt & pepper to taste. Serve with pita or rye bread pieces, fresh veggies (think cucumber and pepper slices) or crackers. Enjoy!
Want more seafood? Try one of my all time favorite recipes – Spanish Seafood Salad!
Leave a Reply