This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #NestleHoliday #CollectiveBias
Mexican Chocolate Cake. A rich, moist and flavorful chocolate cake with notable undertones of cinnamon and vanilla. You know this is gonna be good….!
It’s no secret – I’m a lover of all things chocolate. Throw some coffee and cinnamon into the mix and my tastebuds are in heaven. So what is it that I’m up to….?
Today I’m taking two of my favorite warm drinks and combining them. To make a drink? Sure, you can – it’s delicious! Think of a mocha cinnamon coffee – yum. I’m taking it one step further though – I’ve created a Mexican Chocolate Cake and Ganache. You just know this is gonna be good!
Are you familiar with NESTLÉ ABUELITA 6 tab? It’s a Mexican hot chocolate, but it’s not one of those packets of powdered mix. It’s the real deal – it’s a big round tablet of solid chocolate goodness. It’s one of those amazing ingredients that have been hidden right under your nose for years. It pretty much puts all other hot chocolate mixes to shame. I’ve been a fan of NESTLÉ ABUELITA for years and always keep some on hand for a quick, warm, comforting cup of hot cocoa.
NESCAFÉ® TASTER’S CHOICE® Instant Coffee is a household name. As much as I enjoy a cup from my vintage Bialetti, there are too many moments in my everyday hectic life when I don’t have the time to fuss. NESCAFÉ® TASTER’S CHOICE® Instant Coffee is a lifesaver at these moments. I get a fabulous cup of coffee, almost instantly, at a fabulous price.
Now, let’s talk about cake. Mexican Chocolate Cake. A rich, moist chocolate cake with notable undertones of cinnamon and vanilla. Yes, please. This is not your everyday, hohum chocolate cake. This cake is exciting, flavorful and sure to get everyone excited about chocolate cake this holiday season!
You might be confused about the addition of coffee to this cake. Coffee (instant granules or brewed) is often added to chocolate cakes. It does not give you a mocha or coffee flavored cake. Instead, it enhances the flavor of the cocoa powder giving you a more intense chocolate flavor.
This cake and the ganache are pretty simple to make. The only thing I must note is to finely chop your tab of Abuelita – this will drastically reduce the time and whisking effort that goes into melting it.
I prefer to use my tube pan instead of a bundt with this cake for two reasons. First, I love using this silky and smooth ganache as a frosting instead of a glaze. Second, some days my bundt requires a level of wizardry that I haven’t attained yet.
After making the ganache I throw it in the fridge for about 45 minutes to cool it and thicken it. This way it can be spread on as a frosting instead of pouring it on. If you’d rather use a bundt pan, you could pour the ganache on when warm.
That’s it! This Mexican Chocolate Cake will be a delightful dessert addition to your holiday meals! Chocolate and cinnamon and vanilla – oh my 😉
Thanks so much for stopping by! Happy Baking & Happy Holidays!
What baked goods of yours could get some exciting new flavor with NESTLÉ ABUELITA? Do you already bake with it? I’d love to hear your ideas!
- FOR CAKE:
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoon NESCAFÉ® TASTER'S CHOICE® Instant Coffee
- 2 tabs NESTLÉ ABUELITA, chopped
- 2¼ cup all purpose flour
- 1¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ cup buttemilk
- ½ cup butter at room temp
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- FOR GANACHE:
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 tab NESTLÉ ABUELITA
- ½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°
- Grease and flour a tube pan.
- In a saucepan, bring water to a boil and stir in NESCAFÉ® TASTER'S CHOICE® Instant Coffee. Add in chopped NESTLÉ ABUELITA chunks and whisk until dissolved. Remove from heat, set aside.
- In a a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, baking soda, salt and baking powder.
- Add buttermilk, butter, eggs, vanilla and (warm not hot) NESTLÉ ABUELITA mixture. Using electric mixers, beat for 3-4 minutes or until thoroughly mixed.
- Pour batter into tube pan. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool cake on wire rack for about 15 minutes. After 15 minutes, carefully remove cake from tube pan. Finish cooling before frosting.
- FOR GANACHE:
- In a saucepan, bring heavy cream to a light boil.
- Add chopped NESTLÉ ABUELITA, whisk until completely melted.
- Remove saucepan from heat.
- Add chocolate chips to cream mixture. Let chocolate chips rest/melt for a few minutes.
- Whisk until completely smooth.
- Transfer ganache to a small bowl and refrigerate until creamy and thickened. I occasionally whisk it with a fork while cooling. 45 minutes - 1 hour should get you the desired consistency to frost with.
- Frost cake and enjoy.
- Store covered at room temperature.
I found everything I needed to bake this fabulous cake at my local Walmart! Stock up on these Nestle products to keep you, your family & guests happy this holiday season!